CHAPTER 2: LAGOS INTERVIEWS

Next Day..

After boarding a Yellow and Black-Striped Danfo Bus as early as 6am..
After enduring the noise of blaring car-horns...

*******************************

*8:30am*
* LCI.. Opebi, Ikeja *

"412, 413.. Oh my God!"
I gasped as I scribbled my name on number 414 with a blue pen, LAGOS CITY INN
printed on it in red letters. After adding my Email and the word WAITER in the
position-column.. I handed back both pen and register to an already-impatient security officer.

"Number 31 to Number 80! Please assemble at the East Auditorium!" a female computerized voice boomed from the large speakers overhead, just as I stepped into the air-conditioned hall!

"Number 31 to Number 80! Please assemble at the East Auditorium! " the voice repeated as more people scrambled towards the right side of the big hall.

Finding an empty chair close to a giant LG™ Air Conditioner
I said a sharp "Good Morning" to the middle-aged Woman next chair and had barely had a seat, when I heard arguing voices behind me..

"Do you know who I am?!! I have double PhD in Hospitality Management and Food Nutrition..!!" one voice thundered!

"Who are you?!"
The second voice attacked..
"I have 22-Years practical experience in Nutrition!
Onions cause worse heartburn than Alcohol!.. Argue with your fake PhD Certificates!"

Hundreds of eyes became fixed on the men, arguing and looking as though they would tear each other up at any moment!

"See wahala.."

I thought it was funny seeing two grown men argue over onions! Just then, I realised something for the first time..

"Oh Wow..!"

70% of the job applicants appeared to be in their 50s, and every one else in their mid 30s and 40s.

"Woah!, so I'm the youngest here?" I asked myself.. How odd I thought watching two security officers escort the still-arguing men out of the main hall..

"Please God.. I need this Job!"
I soliloquized already losing confidence in the interview.. I plugged in earphones and tuned my phone to The Beat 99.9FM® just in time to hear the faint voice of Maria Okan fade into a Pepsi® commercial.

Thoughts of Arabella came crashing through my mind..

**********************************************

*10:50am*
Osaro's Point Of View

Number 80 to Number 130
Please assemble at the East Auditorium