Prologue

7 Years Ago
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

You sat by yourself silently outside of your apartments door. You could hear your mother weeping inside, and the soft words of Nai Nai comforting her could be barely heard through her sobs. Yí was yet to return from the roof, leaving you with no one to greeve with. You would have gone up there with her, but...you knew that your father's loss must have effected her more than you. She needed her space.

You whimpered silently to yourself and pulled your knees up to your chest as tears streamed down your face from the corners of your eyes. Soon, though, the sound of laughter was suddenly heard below, and you tensed and quickly silenced yourself; hoping that nobody had heard you.

"You're so funny, Jin!" your breath got caught in your throat. A chuckle was heard. "Thanks, I know." The voice was suave, smooth — you could tell it belonged to Jin, one of your closest friends since preschool. But...it sounded a little...different.

Despite trying to hold yourself, you found yourself slowly crawling over to the railing and peeking through it; grabbing ahold of the two bars that sat on opposite sides of your head.

Down on the story below — where Jin's apartment was — you could see Jin surrounded by some boy and two girls. You felt your heart break slightly once you saw him send one of the girls a smirk, but you quickly shrugged it off. Maybe Jin was just messing with them? Friends do that, don't they?

"So, Jin," the boy spoke up, catching everyone's — including yours — attention. "Why do you hang out with that (Y/n) girl, anyway? Like, she's pretty and all, but she's kind of...weird, isn't she?"

Your eyes widened and you felt more tears prick the corners of your eyes as you looked to Jin for his answer. Your eyes held hope — desperation, even.

Why am I so worried, anyway? This is JIN we're talking about! He wouldn't—

"Um, yeah, I don't really know why I hang out with her, either."

Your eyes widened and you gasped silently and softly placed your hand over your mouth. "What...?" you whispered, your voice filled with heartbreak.

One of the girls giggled and suddenly clung to Jin's arm. "Yeah, Jin! You should totally ditch her! Come hang with us at the mall tomorrow, okay?"

Please say no. Please say no...you could feel your bottom lip quiver as your grip on the bars slowly loosened. Come on, Jin. Please—

"Ah...I...I guess you're right," the three kids grinned and you had to slap both hands over your mouth to keep yourself from releasing a heartbroken sob.

"(Y/n)?"

Time seemed to freeze right then and there.

Gasps were heard from below, and you hesitantly looked down to see Jin staring up at you with wide eyes; his expression that of horror and guilt.

"(Y/n)..." Jin put his phone up and took a step towards your form, but it was already too late. You let out one of the sobs that you were holding in, and Jin ended up wincing at the noise as Yí stared at you in confusion.

"(Y/n), what's wrong—" you stood up and ran inside before she could even finish her sentence. But just before you closed the door, you heard Jin scream your name one last time.

"(Y/N)!"

* * * * * * * * * *
A/N: Just to let you all know, since (Y/n) and Yí are twins, they will share some attributes with one another. So before any of you read this book, I would like to let you all know that (Y/n)'s going to have (sort of) tanned skin and dark hair like Yí. I would also like to tell you all that (Y/n)'s going to have long hair. I know this might upset some of you, but I've imagined some pretty cute scenarios with this, so please bare with me?

~☆