Chapter 2

I wake up in the hospital. My head is pounding. I look over at the dresser and see a note, Advil, and some water, how nice. I take the Advil and swallow it along with the water then, take the note and read it...
•••
Zoe,
Marie and I have been at the hospital with you all night long and decided to go get some breakfast, we will be back shortly. I put some Advil and water on the dresser next to you-even though you probably already saw it.- I'm sorry that you fell, my fault. I can tell you how much it hurts me to know you are in pain. Doctor says you'll be okay though. Anyways, I'll see you soon.
Love you,
Justin
•••
I smiled. I smiled like an idiot. I wouldn't stop smiling.
I snapped back into reality when I heard the door open. I looked over at the door to see a man come in. Doctor, I assume.
"Ms. Bolt?" The doctor said.
"Yes," I replied.
"You are okay. Your knee is damaged a bit, probably from the accident you had years ago, but it is useable. It will feel soar for a couple of weeks though and if you would like me to get you a brace for you, then you can use that to help you. Your knee is bandaged up (if you have not noticed) but, no major marks to leave additional scars. You are free to go."
"Hey, you're up," Justin interrupts.
I look at Justin and reply "Yeah," then back at Doc and reply, "I would love the brace and thank you so much Doctor." I smile and sit up.
Marie walks over to me once I receive the brace and helps me put it on. I stand up and limp trying to get used to brace and pain in my knee. I turn around as I hear noises find Justin laughing at me.
"What's so funny?" I frown.
"Nothing," he lies.
"Stop laughing, I'm still mad at you. And you're right, it is your fault. I should be at the skatepark or hanging with friends but, no, I have to get out of the hospital and wait to recover!"
I walk over to the dresser where my clothes and phone are and grab them, then I walk out without looking at Justin nor Marie.
"Man, you pissed her off," Marie states and walks out of the room leaving Justin.
_________

For the next couple weeks I watched movies, hung-out with a couple friends, and slept. Justin has called and texted me each day for one week straight, only to receive nothing. Can't he just leave me alone? If he really cared, he wouldn't have done what he did in the past.
I am snapped back into reality when I get a phone call. I take out my phone to see an unknown caller.
"Hello?" I answer.
"Hey, it's me, Caroline. My birthday is coming up and I need to go to the mall and buy a cute dress for my 21st birthday. Wanna come?"
Caroline is my old friend from high school before she graduated. I'm 18 so she is a couple years older than me. Man, have I missed her.
"You there, Zoe?"
"Oh, yeah yeah. When?"
"I'll be there in 20 minutes."
"Okay, see you."
I stood up, turned off my tv, and walked over to my suitcase that contained all my stuff for college. I live in California but, I'm soon leaving for New York to attend Fashion Institute of Technology. I love fashion and have the desire to become a designer. My mom and dad have been saving their money to help me go to this college. I am really appreciative to have even gotten accepted.
Once I got my clothes on-which I decided on some black leggings and my soccer sweatshirt- I scurry to the bathroom for a little mascara and light pink lip gloss. I take my long, wavy, brown hair and put it into a loose bun, my favorite.
"Knock, knock."
"Come in."
It didn't sound like Caroline so I go out of the bathroom and into the living room. My house was presentable. You know, 3 bed, 2 bath. Good space in the backyard and front yard.
As I walk into the living room and toward the door, I see Justin. Of course. He is standing by the door with his hands in his jean pockets and a black beanie tucked over his ears.
"What?" I rudely remark.
"Oh so you invited me in just to mean, oh thanks, "he replied.
Who does he think he is to not even answer my damn question. Why is he even here?
"What. Do. You. Want."
"Wanna hangout?" He asks with hope clearly shown in his crystal blue eyes.
"No and I'm about to leave anyway so you can leave now," I stated.
"Zoe!" Caroline yells, getting out of her Ford.
"Hey! Hold on, let me grab my purse and put my shoes on. I'll be right back!" I ran out of the living room and to my room. I put my black and white converse on and grab my purse on my dresser. Walking back into the living room, I hear laughing and giggling. Oh great.
"Hey Zoe, I hope you don't mind, I invited Justin to the mall with us," Caroline says, standing up.
"Oh, no no, that's fine." I lie.
"Cool, anyway, you ready?"
"Yeah."
We all get into the car. Caroline and I up front and Justin in the back. I asked Caroline when she was leaving for college and where she was going for college. I didn't pay much attention until she said she was going to FIT for college.
"Oh my god! We're going to the same college, Caroline!"
"Ahhhh! Oh my god!"
Once we got to the mall, she jumped out, slammed her car door, ran to the other side of the car where I was, opened it, and jumped on me.
"We're going to the same college!" She kept screaming.
"I know! I know! I'm excited too but, Caroline...?"
"Yes?"
"CALM DOWN"
"Okay."
We both start laughing and scoot out of the car.
Once we get inside the mall, Caroline takes mine and Justin's hands and drags us quickly to some dress place. When we get there, Justin looks up at the store name called 'dresses' and groans.
"If you're going to complain, leave." I scoff.
"No, it's fine," he replies and smirks.
"Zoe! Justin!" Caroline half yells. She was always so kind to the people around her.
I stop giving Justin the death glare and walk inside the store to go find Caroline. Justin is hot on my heels but silent. I finally spot Caroline's dark brown hair and walk toward her. When I approach her, she already has 4 short black dresses, all similar but different.
"Which one should I try on first?" Caroline asks.
"That one." I reply and point to the one that is strapless with a few clear sparkles spread out at the bottom.
"Hot," Justin mutters, probably to himself thinking no one heard him.
I decide to embarrass him and turn and look at him.
"What did you say?" I ask.
"Nothing," he lies.
"Did you just say hot? Hm, wonder what that was about?" I smirk.
Caroline just looks back and forth between Justin and I.
"Okay anyways, I'm going to go try these on!" Caroline says cheerfully. She is clearly proud of what she picked to try on.
"Okay, make sure you show me each dress," I replied.
Justin and I walk to the dressing rooms with Caroline and sat on the couch while she changed.
Knowing Caroline, she changed slow. I wanted time to go faster so I took out my iPhone 5s. I had 2 messages. One from my mom saying I need to be home at 5 for dinner, and one from Marie saying I needed to call her when I had the chance. I replied to my mom and Marie saying 'okay' and told Caroline to "hurry the fuck up."
"Okay, okay. I'm coming out with the one you like...now."
"How do you like it?" Caroline asks while smiling and twirling in it.
Justin was obviously drooling like a dog over a bone so I stated it just to make him embarrassed then, told Caroline she didn't even need to try on the other dresses. She tried them on either way.
Just to prove my point I said "hideous" to each one of the other dresses. Sassy, I know.
"Alright, I'm done. What did you get Zoe?"
"I don't need any. Believe me. I got plenty from those high school parties!" I explained.
"I'm hungry," Justin interrupted.
"Okay, okay, let me pay and then we can go over to the food court and get some pizza or something," Caroline gave in.
Once Caroline paid for her dresses, we all made our way over to the food court.
"What do you guys want?" Caroline asks.
"Whatever," Justin and I both shrugged at the exact same time. Justin looked at me and I just rolled my eyes.
We all decided on Panda Express. Justin walked around to find a place for all of us to sit while Caroline and I ordered. We all wanted white rice and orange chicken so we chose to get a giant dish of it. We also got 3 large sodas.
When I payed for the food, Caroline insisted but, I lied and told her it was an early birthday present, which she finally gave into.
"Hey, go sit, I'll wait for the-" And got handed the food. "Never mind," I laughed.
We walked over to where Justin was sitting but, he was now sitting with someone. Someone quite familiar. When I got closer, I figured it out.
"Hey, my friend was here and I saw him so I invited him to sit with us." Justin exclaimed.
I put the food down on the table and rushed "I'm going to the bathroom," I lied.
I walked toward the exit of the mall and toward home. I called Marie but, she didn't answer.
I couldn't believe Giovanni was here, back into my life, too.