Chapter 14: Attrition

"W'at are ya doin' kitten?" A young lady asks a child.

"Mamah, w'at this at—tri—on wa—ar..." Trying to read out of the book.

The young lady bend over to look. "Attrition Warfare, not something ya should do but I'll explain it to ya.

She sat down beside her putting an arm over.

"It's a battle which whoever doesn't have anythin' left to fight with, loses." Looking over her gently.

"Ya mean, whoever runs out of bullets. Right!" She happily exclaimed.

"Yes, but humanity frowns in such... activity. We win wars without even letting the enemy fire a single round, that's the basic principle humanity follows." She strokes her hair. "That's why ya children we're born, even alone ya can kill thousands."

"Really Mah?" Hugging her tightly.

She hugs her back. "Okay now, wash ya hands and tell ya brothers and sisters to pray before y'all ate."

Ark Acedia - Tristitia: Classroom G3 - 71

1037AE 07M20D 1700H

. . .

Proving Grounds: Forgotten City, Black Gate

1821Y 04M09D 0800H

The Guardian, free from burden rush towards them swords in hand. The group anticipated the attack. "Get ready!" Mat bracing for impact but... it strode right pass them.

No, the aggro... Like time stopped to where Mat stands. He already know where it is going, there is only one thing behind them. Smirf spaced out as the towering statue showed it's intent.

"RUN!" Mat's voice woke her up like a jolt of electricity just brought her back to life. "Sol, hold on to Lucii." Jump up the wagon, she did not even look back, just drove like there is no tomorrow. The guardian swung at the wagon, but miss them by a few seconds losing its balance; it got up and continued the chase.

Mat threw away his armaments and ran towards the statue. "Boss, they are going to run in circles. Don't chase, go counter." Menan shouting out loud making sure everyone heard. Shit, shit, shit...

Baby already steps ahead of the group, jump the wagon then started firing arrows at the statue. Shiro appeared on its shoulder; drew his katanas but he barely made a mark on it.

Menan signaled Acki they went both went for a foot and swung at it, making the Guardian fall on its knees. Mat rush in; recalled his hammer, lift it over his head then brought it down the Guardian's feet keeping it in place. The statue knocked him away with the broken sword. As it was about to run again, Acki held on to its feet; Menan runs over its body trying to find a weak spot. The guardian shook them off, then continued to hunt down its target.

"Hermana, here it comes again." Baby watching as it strode off towards them. Smirf glance over the side mirror when it suddenly disappeared. A dark shadow loomed over them. Smirf steered hard to the left, trying to get away. The sword statue drops beside them, creating a ripple on the ground; sending the wagon airborne.