sixteen

/ 016 /

/ 016 /

I was the first one to the hospital. I was there before Nat and Rodrick. But they were let out of school early as well as I was. Maybe they were running through traffic.

It didn't matter, what mattered was that Riley was okay and well. I walked out the elevator and met mom and Tony in the waiting area.

"How is he? Is he alright?" I asked, as Tony stood up to hug me.

"We don't know yet, Rue." Tony replied. "They're just treating him now. We're waiting to hear from the doctors.

I nodded, my forehead scrunched up in stress and worry. I then noticed my mom sitting in the chair, her legs crossed, smoking. She was smoking in a hospital.

"Are you serious?" I asked. That sure as hell wasn't allowed, why weren't they kicking her out or something?

"What? I'm just smoking, dear." She sneered, shrugging.

"Give me that!" I took the butt and threw it on the ground, stepping on it.

"Hey! What's the matter with you?" She exclaimed. Thank god there were no people around because this would've been embarrassing.

"Mom, you have a 14-year-old son in the damn hospital, and you're smoking?! You don't even look like you care! So what the hell is the matter with you, mom!?" I shouted, causing her to back up a little in surprise. Someone pulled me back so I wouldn't go completely insane. It wasn't Tony though.

"Alright, Rue, take it easy, okay? Let's go talk somewhere else." I heard Shawn's voice. I really didn't need him to be here right now.

"No, I don't want to talk to you." I turned around and pointed a finger at him, daringly. He slowly backed up and let go.

"I'm going to get some food." I told him before brushing off his shoulder and heading for the elevator.

I just needed to be alone. To think.

I walked back to the waiting area, my stomach filled with the satisfaction of a salty pretzel. Hospital food was actually disgusting so I went to the pretzel cart down the street. I came to the area and found additions. Angela, Jasper, Cory and Topanga were all there with Shawn, Tony and mom.

"Hey, Rue. I'm so sorry." Angela said, pulling me into a hug. Boy, did I feel stupid having just eaten an entire pretzel.

"It's okay, Angela."

Topanga went for a hug next as did Cory and Jasper. "Thanks for coming, guys, but you didn't have to."

"Of course we did. We're your friends so you better get used to it." Cory pointed out smiling. I smiled back weakly.

"Thanks."

I glanced over at Shawn who was completely avoiding my eyes. I knew I was a little harsh on him earlier but I was angry and I couldn't stop myself. It was in the heat of the moment but I felt obligated to apologize. So I did.