Ghost of You

wc: 2037

Ghost of You by 5 Seconds of Summer

"Hi," I softly said.

"Hi," She said even quieter. I could barely hear it. 

"So, umm... how are you?" I asked, trying to start a conversation.

"You know, to be quite honest, I'm doing okay finally. I'm not hurting as bad as I was, but it's still there. And I know that it will still always be there but I need to take it slow." I'm glad that she was starting to get better, but also I didn't want her to because that meant she was getting over me. 

"Y/N," I started. "I know that I have said this a million times, but truly, I'm sorry. I should have never broken up with you. And it was not your fault, but mine. And it was your heart on the line. I really fucked it up thi-" She cut me off. It was just like our breakup. 

"I gotta go. Grayson is playing at Moe's today, so we have to go." She shut her locker quickly and turned to the two boys leaned up against the lockers a good ways away. I couldn't stop thinking about the day I called us off.

"Oh, okay, then, bye." I tried to be friendly, but she didn't respond. I sadly closed my locker and then that's when I noticed MJ there. She was just looking at me. "Oh, uh, hey baby." I smiled at her. 

"Hey, you ready to take me home?" She asked. 

"Y-yeah. Let's go."I still had the memory replaying in my mind. 

"Hey." She said plainly and watched MJ walk off in the other direction."What did she want?" She let out a chuckle as she got stuff from her locker. I think Y/N was starting to get a clue that I was getting pretty close with MJ at the time. 

"Oh, she was just getting stuff from my locker. She forgot something at my apartment when we were all hanging out." I lied.

"Oh, okay. Well how was your day?" She asked me while getting her coat and jacket out of her locker. She was wearing my Led Zeppelin shirt that she stole about a year ago.

"It was good. Pretty tiring but it was good." I replied. "How was your's?"  

"Same," She said looking at the ground. 

"Hey, are you coming to the concert tonight?" 

"Um, yeah I'll try. My parents said something about a family dinner, but I will get out of it." She replied. I could hear a hint of sadness in her voice. 

"Oh okay." I looked at her. "Is something wrong?" 

"Why are you spending more time with MJ now?" She innocently asked. "I mean we are together right? There is nothing wrong here. I'm just overthinking it. 

"Will you calm down? I was just trying to be friendly, that's all." I told her.

"Do you even want to be with me?" She didn't let me respond. She just kept going. "I see the way that you look at her when she passes you in the hallway. You don't think I've noticed. She's got you mesmerized and I can't do anything to draw you away from her!" 

"Y/N, that's not true." 

"Yes it is!" She yelled. 

"Hey hey, calm down. People are starting to stare." 

"Let them stare!" She kept going. "I tell myself all the time, 'Why would he rather kiss me?' 'I'm not even half as pretty as she is.' 'He gave her his sweatshirt.'"