12 | Lunar

I brushed a strand of hair from my face as I peered at myself in the mirror. I'd discovered opening one's mouth while fixing eyeliner makes them look like a gaping fish, so I tried not to that. Since, obviously, you know, gaping fishes don't look that great. 

I had totally forgotten today was the prom night until Gold called me after school and screamed at me through the phone so loudly I'd had to hold it away from me. I definitely wasn't going with Jay, because he was a bitch (frankly i'm not even surprised at myself), so Evan was picking me up as a friend date. (HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA i'll stop now)

I checked my phone and cursed at myself. It was almost seven. 

Quickly touching up on my makeup, making sure my dress was buttoned up properly in the back, and checking on Draco to see that he didn't look like a complete idiot because he was going with Aly, I hurried downstairs. I shoved my phone and some other backup makeup in a purse and flung open the door. 

To my luck, Evan was there already, his finger about to press the doorbell. When he saw me, he froze and didn't say anything. 

Because I was an idiot, I started worrying. "Uh, did I do something? Do I look that ugly?" I tried to surreptitiously peer at myself in a mirror that hung on the wall in the main hall. I thought I looked fine, but maybe he didn't like the eyeliner I'd done. It was simple and a little winged with purple eyeshadow. Or maybe he didn't like how my hair was done in a bun. 

Evan shook his head immediately and cleared his throat. "No, no, don't think that, Lunar. . ." 

"Then what?" I asked anxiously. 

"It's just that you look absolutely stunning." Evan smiled crookedly at me. 

"Thank you so much!" I threw my arms around him. He was stiff at first, as if not expecting it, but after a fourth of a second he hugged me back. 

Once I let go, I decided to inspect Evan more closely. He was wearing a tux (of course) with a blue tie that had guitars on it. He hadn't done anything to his hair besides combed it and his hands were currently in his pockets. 

Just then Draco decided to come downstairs. Very loudly. He accidentally knocked over one of the plant jars on a shelf and I quickly excused myself from Evan, who looked like he was trying not to laugh. 

I sighed at Draco. "Dude, you're going to have to learn not to break anything you come across." 

"That was on a c c i d e n t!" Draco complained. 

I sighed again. 

After we finished up with the plant, we headed back towards the door. I was riding in Evan's car, and Draco was picking up his date (which was Aly ( ͡❛ ͜ʖ ͡❛) ). 

Evan got in and gunned the engine, while I sat in shotgun. He cleared his throat awkwardly. "So. . .how are things with Jay?" 

I automatically stiffened at the name but reminded myself to relax. "We broke up. It was pretty private, but it ought to be all the people can talk about at school tomorrow. Those girls always hear everything around." 

"Gossip," Evan said disapprovingly. 

"Yep." I sighed and then decided to bring up another topic. "Hey, how's your band going?" 

Evan brightened at that. "It's going great!" He started rattling on and on about what he was doing and the songs he was making. I nodded along politely even though sometimes I had no idea what he was talking about because they were music terms. After a while he looked at me nervously. "Uh. . .I kind of made a song for you." 

My first impulse was to say "Oh that's cool" before the meaning of his words sunk in. ". . .me?" 

"Yep.." 

"That's so sweet!" I exclaimed. "I can't wait to hear it." 

Evan's posture definitely relaxed at those words and he sighed with relief. "I thought you would be weirded out. It's not necessarily done yet, though, sorry. . ." 

"No, it's perfectly fine." I couldn't stop grinning. 

im so sorry but i am alive wow what a surprise