- eighteen

it was a few days and shen wei and zhao yunlan were officially dating. "have you told your brother yet?" zhao yunlan asked as he was eating his breakfast "yeah." shen wei replied as he dressed up for work. "is he okay with it?" he asked "he is. my parents are actually asking if i could introduce you to them." shen wei said. zhao yunlan almost choked on his food "like now?" zhao yunlan asked "we'll have dinner with them tonight. is that okay with you?" shen wei replied. zhao yunlan nodded in reply. "okay then, pick me up in the university at eight." he said.

shen wei then softly placed a small peck on zhao yunlan's lips "you take care." zhao yunlan smiled. "i will." shen wei smiled back and left the apartment. zhao yunlan suddenly called his cousin to tell her the news "what do you want?" meili replied as she was eating her dinner "what are you eating?" zhao yunlan asks "food duh." meili teased around "all right, why'd you call?" she asked.

"shen wei and i are dating already." zhao yunlan said. meili almost spit out her food "oh my what?!" she was surprised "we got back together." he replied. meili was happy for them. she laughed "yo, does uncle know about this?" she asked "not yet. im actually meeting shen wei's parents tonight." zhao yunlan replied. meili slowly nodded upon his response "aren't shen wei's parents homophobs? (homophobic)" meili asked. "yeah i know. but it's weird they wanna meet me." zhao yunlan said. meili smiled "probably they approve of you already. man, i don't know." she said.

zhao yunlan just nodded his head in reply "i guess." he says with an unsure tone. "damn why do we always have the gay cousin?" asked meili as she was continue eating "shut the fuck up, i'm the gay cousin." zhao yunlan replied and glared at meili.

---

after a few hours, zhao yunlan was able to pick up shen wei from the university. while he was driving to shen wei's place he was anxious and nervous. shen wei's parents are stricter than zhao yunlan's. "yunlan, what's wrong?" asked shen wei while zhao yunlan was focused on driving "uh nothing." zhao yunlan replied. "you're oddly quiet. is there anything bothering you?" shen wei asked worriedly. 

zhao yunlan sighed "it's nothing. i'm just nervous, i suppose." he said. shen wei just gave a reassuring smile "don't worry. i'll be there anyways." he said. zhao yunlan smiled back in reply. once they arrived at shen wei's place they went out of the car and went inside the house. "gege!" yezun saw shen wei and hugged him tightly "didi, where's mom and dad?" shen wei asked as they both pulled away from the hug.

yezun pointed at the kitchen "mom is at the kitchen then dad is upstairs." shen wei sighed. he knew that his dad might scold him again just for bringing his boyfriend "it's weird since dad wants to meet yunlan." yezun said. "shen wei?" a female voice called. shen wei then suddenly gave a warm smile. "mom." he said and hugged her. mrs. shen then saw zhao yunlan "so who is this friend you're bringing?" she asked as she moved closer to zhao yunlan.

his heart raced. he was obviously nervous "mom, he's my boyfriend." shen wei said. mrs. shen was surprised but then she gave a warm smile "oh my! you are so handsome for my little wei." she smiled brightly. "i'm zhao yunlan. you can call me yunlan." said zhao yunlan politely as he smiled back. shen wei smiled at the sight that they're getting along. "pleased to meet you. we should go eat now the food is prepared already." she said and they went to the dinner table.

"oh wei, why won't you call your dad?" mrs. shen asked as they were seated on the table. shen wei wanted to refuse but he couldn't "mom, i'll just be the one to call dad." yezun volunteered then he went upstairs to call their dad. then their dad came down. mr. shen had a intimidating appearance. he then settled down already. "so, let's eat." mr. shen said.

it was silent so mrs. shen had to manage the thick air "so yunlan, what's your occupation?" she asked with a polite tone "i work as a lawyer." zhao yunlan smiled. upon hearing the conversation of zhao yunlan and mrs. shen, mr. shen had high standards for his son, shen wei. "how do i know you're good for my son?" mr. shen blurted out. mrs. shen then glared at her husband. "don't worry, sir. i won't hurt your son." zhao yunlan still kept up with a positive behavior.

shen wei sighed "anyways, i see that you are sincere with him." mr. shen said. after eating shen wei was called by his father and they went upstairs. zhao yunlan was helping shen wei's mother wash the dishes "wei and his father really never get along." mrs. shen sighed in distress "he told me that." zhao yunlan replied "he says that they fight most of the time." he added. mrs. shen nodded. 

"that's where you're good at! being so weak and dumb!" his father shouted at shen wei. "dad, you can't change me again and again." shen wei replied "i'm not changing your gender, son. i understand that but what i don't understand is you got back with your ex!" mr. shen back fired. shen wei sighed "he's not gonna hurt me again, i know that." he said. he still kept his temper in control "so what? what happens if he does the same msitakes?" mr. shen raised his voice. 

mr. shen sighed. "i'm just concerned." he said. shen wei replied "i know, dad." mr. shen took a deep breath "are you gonna marry him?" he asked. shen wei gave a soft smile "of course dad." he answered. his dad smiled back "okay.. just tell me when you need anything." mr. shen said. after zhao yunlan cleaned up, shen wei and his dad came downstairs. 

they had to leave early since tomorrow zhao yunlan has some work to finish "yunlan, take care of my son." mrs. shen smiled as she hugged zhao yunlan "yes i will." zhao yunlan smiled "it was nice meeting you. mr shen and mrs. shen." zhao yunlan said politely. mr. shen just smiled back at him. then shen wei hugged his parents "visit us sometime, okay?" mr. shen said "i will dad." shen wei smiled back. they both said their goodbyes then went home.

---

"you guys actually got along?" zhao yunlan asked as he sat on his bed "yeah.." shen wei replied as he removed his blazer. "i didn't actually expect it." shen wei smiled and sat beside zhao yunlan on his bef. he decided to stay with zhao yunlan since it was getting late. 

zhao yunlan just smiled "you should take a rest already it's late." shen wei said as he stood up again to fix some of his things. "yeah i will.." zhao yunlan replied as he flopped on the bed.