Chapter 3

The next morning——————————————————

I climb out of bed and rub my eyes, yawning loudly. I dig through my dresser and pull out some spandex shorts, my knee pads, and a tank top. I quickly get dressed, throwing my hair up into a high ponytail. I peek my head into my dad's room to wake him up. "Dad, I'm going to school to play volleyball with a friend. I'll be back before dark," I whisper, my dad sitting up with a sleepy smile.

"I'm glad you're playing again, sweetie. I'll see you later. Have fun!" He responds, pulling the blankets back over his head as I go downstairs to eat a quick breakfast. I check my phone and see a text from Bokuto.

Bokuto
Good morning!

Cutie 💕
Morning

Bokuto
Are you excited to play volleyball
with me? I wanna see if you can
stop some of my spikes

Cutie 💕
Yeah, I might be a little rusty
at first. I haven't played in a
while

Bokuto
I'm on my way!

Cutie 💕
I'll be leaving in a minute.
See you then

I grab my keys and lock the front door behind me. I'm really excited to play again, but also a little nervous. I make my way to Nekoma quicker than I normally would. I see Bokuto turn around the corner and wave to me, he was with Akaashi and Kuroo. "Hey, y/n!" Bokuto greets me with a warm smile as he approaches. "I brought Kuroo and Akaashi so we can all practice together. Kuroo has the keys for the gym. Let's go!" Bokuto grabs my hand and drags me all the way to the gym.

"Y/n, will you go get the volleyballs out of the storage room with Akaashi? Bokuto, come help me with the net," Kuroo says, opening the door to the gym.

"Bokuto talks about you a lot during practice," Akaashi deadpans, looking over his shoulder at me as we part with Bokuto and Kuroo.

"I've only known him for a few days, but I feel like I've known him forever," I explain, grabbing the volleyball cart and walking out of the storage room with Akaashi following me.

"He's really excited to play volleyball with you. Bokuto says that you quit volleyball for some reason, but he really wants you to play again." We both walk up to Bokuto, Akaashi letting out a small yawn.

"Are you ready to play? I was thinking, Akaashi would set me the ball, I could spike, Kuroo could block, and you would receive if Kuroo couldn't block my awesome spikes," Bokuto explains as Kuroo and I head over towards one side of the net, Akaashi and Bokuto going to the other side.

"Awesome? Bokuto, you lost yesterday," Kuroo teases while Akaashi shoots him a nasty glare. Before Bokuto has time to sulk, Akaashi set a ball to him and he quickly spikes it down.

"That wasn't fair! I wasn't ready!" I whine, tightening my ponytail and getting into position.

Akaashi sets another ball. "One touch!" Kuroo shouts, looking over his shoulder at me. I easily receive the ball and send it to the setter's position. I smile to myself, proud that I still had it in me. "Nice job, y/n," Kuroo says, patting me on the shoulder.

"Bring it on, Bokuto!" I yell, trying to sound intimidating. Bokuto spikes another time and Kuroo blocks it this time. I don't say anything, but I give a thumbs up. I narrow my eyes as I look at the ball, desire burning in my eyes. Akaashi sets the ball in the air perfectly as Bokuto runs up to it, prepared to spike it as hard as possible. Bokuto does a line shot, catching Kuroo off guard. I quickly and easily receive it, leaving shocked faces on Kuroo, Akaashi, and Bokuto.