VIII

Sebastian and I are playing chess and this time I am kicking his ass. I smirk when I move my rookie trapping his king.
"Told you. I am a fast learner." I shrug proudly when he gives me a look.

Before he plays, Olivia interrupts clearing her voice.
"Miss Olivia, good to see you." Sebastian acknowledges.
"How you doing Sebastian?"
"Cool. I will excuse myself now." he stands m up before I have a chance to stop him. Hypocrite.

When he is gone, mom joins me.
"What do you want?" I asked rudely.
"Good to see you too Lyka." she mutters. I roll my eyes.
"I see you are still mad at me. I won't force you to forgive me." she says. I scoff ridiculously.
"But Lyka dear, please don't hate your mother because of what she did. Evanna loved you a lot. She might not have been there for you physically but one thing is for sure, she really adored you."

"If she loved me like you claim, why didn't she ever come to see me? I deserved to know or see her physically." I ask irritably.
"She wanted to protect you. You might not know it yet but your life is in grave danger." she mutters seriously.
"Why would someone want to harm me when I have done nothing wrong?"

"Some people are very greedy honey. Being Evanna's daughter makes you in line to the throne and there are people who don't want it to happen."
This meant I had enemies, enemies I didn't make and don't know of. All this is what I wanted to avoid.

"And what if I don't want to be the alpha? What if I don't want all this?" I ask helplessly.
"My dear. We don't choose our destinies and when destiny chooses us, we cannot change it." she takes my hands in hers.

"I want you to know one thing Lyka. Evanna had a lot of faith in you. You are the future of this pack and the rest of the other packs."
Everyone keeps telling me the same thing and it is going to drive me insane. Couldn't it be any other person who is experienced, Gabriel maybe?

"How about Gabriel?" I ask curiously.
"He cannot. He is not the heir to the throne. He can only guide you and be your second hand but he can't rule." Olivia explains.
"I am not even ready for anything. Everything in my life is just so much to take in." I say softly.
"Honey life never prepares us for anything. We just have to face the changes in our life sometimes, to look at the positive side. I need you, these people need you. We are all here for you and on your side. That is all you got to know. " she assures me with a sympathetic look embracing me.

Olivia is right when she says I need to embrace this change and look on the positive side. These people need me. They have hope in me to save and lead them. I can't just let them down.

I spend the next hours with Olivia where she tells me about Evanna. She was a wonderful woman, beautiful, loving, caring, kind and respectful. She was a very respected lady, very strong, intelligent and determined. She was the best alpha she had ever seen.

When I depart from mom after lunch, I go back to the library. I still have a lot to find out. I sit again with another big volume black hardcover book.

The pack has a council of elders which have a lot of influence in the alpha's decisions. These are very respected people in the society and are problem solvers. They are like the wise men to the pack.

I read about the different council of elders in different regimes. They have the power to accept the alpha or discard them when they prove them not worthy.

That explains what Sebastian told me about the council room.
I open the next page which is about mating. Every werewolf has a soulmate they are supposed to spend the rest of their lives with. It's like a behavior for the species.

In the past, mates had the same birth marks on their bodies. It was easier to find your mate. Someone you feel a deeper connection to, a person you feel protective of all the time and are able to connect to even without their presence.