The Dead Don't Ride

My journey over my bridge, from two weeks past, to my current situation, was indeed a smooth one. A golden paved road, laced with relveries and orgies.

Adeyanju had summoned me from my past life, of watching the night for a living, to a promise of a beauty embroidered life, a life I had always dreamed of. He told me he had some work for me, and he stayed through to his promise, not just the way I imagined it.

The flight from Nigeria to Dubai, was top notch, the reception he gave me on my arrival, was beyond my wildest dreams. I was literally breathing in wealth, swimming in money, surfing on the waves of a luxurious life, till I drifted on those same waters, floating gently, to a gun pointing at my head.

I had innocently on one day asked him, why he brought me over here, about the work he said he had for me. He smiled, baring his golden teeth, he told me I would know when it was time.

Now was the time, the time he spoke of, the time I was to join in the wealth making, a time I wish was never in existence. He introduced me to his gang, his family he said. He exposed me to the business, the source of the lavish wealth I'd been eating those past few days.

They were professional thieves, not armed robbers, just men specialized in the art of stealing. They stole hard drugs from drug dealers and sold it to rich men. He wanted me to join the family. One of them I was told, had just taken the journey on his bridge, to the other side. A few of them chose to ply a single bridge, to life imprisonment. They had lost a lot of men and I was to join them. They had taken up arms, one which I was an expert in, by nature of my former work.

I thought it at first to be a candid joke, I laughed it off expecting some reciprocations, but I was met with none. Their faces were stone cold, their eyes fierce, the smile that accompanied the earlier invitation had dissipated. I began wishing it to be a candid joke, but it didn't go down that lane. Reality soon dawned on me, my laugh murdered brutally, I soon replicated their facial masks and wore it. I told them that I wasn't interested, that I don't do those kind of business, I thanked them for their hospitable reception, and informed them of my wish to return home in two days time. 

They kept staring at me with those deadly eyes, looking at me with murderous intent, building with steady blocks, the fear in me, till Adeyanju burst into laughter. I heaved one big sigh of relief, happy that my earlier wish was true. His laughter was so infectious, it soon ravaged the other men in the room, myself included. This charade went on for a while till Adeyanju burst the bubble, his laughing demeanor changed to a devlish one, with the speed of light.

He pulled out a pistol and aimed it straight at me, before telling me that no one sees the nakedness of evil and goes his way. Fear had grasped me in close embrace, wearing his sweaty garment from my fore head, down to my chest. Adeyanju wasted no time to show me the two bridges I could choose to ride across. He told me that if I refused, he would drop me right there and then, and also make me welcome my family other side. He told me that I could join them and continue with this luxury coated life.

I was confused, disoriented, toung-tied, I didn't know what to say. He put the gun to my mouth, the cold steel caressing my lips. And like a pastor to a microphone, I preached the message of affirmation, a message that was received by my congregants with much zest and smiles. He congratulated me on joining the family, pulling me into close embrace, followed by the others in the room. I just stood there, listless, doing nothing, saying nothing, just looking out ahead into empty space. I had began my journey, riding across the new bridge, looking at my former bridge as it was engulfed in flames.

I remember my first mission with them, the cocaine heist that we carried out on an Arab drug Lord, a success it was. I remember the faces of two of his guards, their eyes as they shuddered from the impact of the bullets fired from Adeyanju's gun. I remember the smile on his face as we made our get away, the satisfaction in the eyes of every man in the car, as I drove them away.

This was the new bridge I was riding roughly upon. It wasn't my bridge, it was their's, a bridge they forced me to ride upon, a bridge that soon caved in under us, dropping us safely at the other side.

I remember clearly when we were raided, by some ill-fated drug Lord that we had stolen from. He managed to trace us through a tracker he placed in his substance. I remember when the thugs burst into our lair, spraying bullets everywhere, their teeth gritted in savagery. Adeyanju was dead before his body hit the floor.

I remember my flight from the window, I remember running straight into a dagger, I remember because it's tonight, and I'm still alive.

I'm thinking of many things right now. I'm thinking of mother at home, she must have probably bragged to Mama Fisayo, that her son had gone to Dubai, and he will come back with a fine car and plenty money. I manage a smile, showing my bloodied teeth to the man who had earlier impaled me, and now had a gun pointed at my dying frame.

I'm thinking of father, what he would think when he hears the news of my death. I adjust myself on the ground. Honestly steel feels different when plugged into your belly. I'm thinking of Oluwaseyi my love, thinking of her smile, thinking of  her eyes, thinking of her disappearing frame, as I left her at the end of my former bridge.

I'm thinking of my life and my future. Then the words came, whispered to myself. I rode the horse, but I still died.

Reality is thing that is real.