Chapter Thirteen- Cigarrette

It had been a little over two weeks since Elizabeth had seen my true self. Mr. March had pleaded for me to talk with him again. I never responded. I killed over thirty people in the days after our talk. I cared little for them and took anything I could  get off them. The more Hollywood pushed their image of how a girl or boy should look... the faster they came running to my office. Of course, I normally would let some live... most didn't make it away from my wrath. I could feel everyone watching me in horror of my destruction. Iris had even distanced herself from me. I found myself bored constantly and would end up borrowing book after book from Liz to read.

I used to read a lot when Adam was still around. He enjoyed books and music. I can still remember him playing a beautiful piece on the piano while I would read. Sometimes, he'd beckon me over to play with him.

I shook my head bringing me out of the past I so desperately wanted. I sat up from the couch and decided to get dressed in something more my style. I wanted to look alive. I did my makeup and slipped on an elegant dress that was gifted to me from Elizabeth herself. It fit perfectly and made me feel special.

I slipped on some heels and grabbed my purse

I slipped on some heels and grabbed my purse. I picked up the book I had borrowed from Liz and just finished and took it with me. I still wore the red pendant Adam gave me around my neck as I slipped into the dark hallway. I checked the time and saw it was around 10 pm. I begin walking around the hallways. It was strangely quiet but I felt at peace with it. I walked back towards the elevator, hoping to see Liz and thank her for letting me borrow her book. I pressed the button and waited till the doors opened to see someone who I hadn't seen in awhile, "Sally." I greet as she stands in the corner of the elevator, with one arm around her body and another holding a cigarette to her lips.

"Where do you get your cigarettes if you don't mind me asking? All the ghosts seem to smoke here." I ask as she chuckles.

"On the floor above this one, there is an antique looking cigarette vending machine. Liz keeps it stocked up using some of the money donated to the fund to buy more. The ghosts that smoke know the code to get the shit out without paying so we don't have to worry about that. It's 666 if you ever need a pack." She says to me as the elevator starts to descend.

"Wow how original of you all." I say rolling my eyes.

"If you don't think this place is Hell yet, just wait." Sally says as I only nod.

"I definitely can understand why it would seem like hell. Mr. March is trying to crawl up my ass every second I'm out." I say as she laughs.

"He's got it bad for you, doll baby." Sally teased as we walked out of the elevator towards Liz's station at the bar with Detective John Lowe.

I scoff at the comment and snatch a cig from Sally trying to find my lighter, "I'd rather die."

I heard a match being struck next to me as I turn and see Mr. March standing there with a smirk, "Perhaps you will."

I roll my eyes and use his light and inhale my cigarette, "Speak of the devil and he shall appear, bye baby." Sally laughs and kisses my cheek abandoning me to go see John.

"Dr. Livingston, finally looking alive. Are you done killing with no purpose?" Mr. March mocks as I scoff walking away but am stopped when I feel a cold hand grasp my hand.

I glare, "I can look how I want whenever I want. You know nothing." I say coldly.

"You aren't taking your hand away though, are you?" He asks as I look down at our hands. My pale skin compared to his sickly color.

He lets go of my hand and pulls an envelope out of his pocket. "I wanted to invite you to my party I host on Halloween night called, Devils Night. I invite only the best and most interesting people to this dinner party. It is a formal dress attire. I would like for you to come and be my guest." He says handing me the invitation.

I look into his eyes to see they had changed from a mocking glance to a pleading look. I take a drag of my cigarette and think. Whatever this was, he really wanted me there. "I'll see." I say as he smiles.

"Splendid." He replies taking my hand back and kissing it as I try to hide my blush.

"I know a lot more about you than you'd think, Doctor Evangeline Livingston." He winks as he lets me go and starts to walk away.

"Someone's caught the owners eyes." I hear Liz shout out as I roll my eyes.

I go up to where she's standing behind the bar. Sally and John walked out giggling and heading towards a room. I roll my eyes and hand her the book, "Finished this one. I wasn't a fan of the ending though." I say to her as I take a long drag of the cigarette.

"You hate anything with a romantic ending." Liz says as I laugh.

"Because they don't exist." I say as I squeal when I feel a soft hand on my shoulder.

I turn to see it's Elizabeth, "how would you know romantic endings don't exist when you've barely lived." She says sitting next to me and taking my cigarette and finishing it off.

I scoff at her, "love dies off. It never ends as lovely as you want it to." I say as she just smirks.

"Whatever. So my ex husband?" She asks poking my shoulder as I roll my eyes.

"Nothing for him. Men right now piss me off." I say to her as she laughs.

"They compensate for it in the bedroom." She says as I groan at her innuendo.

"I don't want to know about Mr. March's sex life or yours." I say as she slyly smiles.

"You'll know what I want you to know." She says as I raise an eyebrow at her indicating for her to explain.

"You'll see soon, my bunny." She teases as I turn red at the nickname.

I push past her and head off towards the elevator. "And where will you go?" Elizabeth called.

"Back to my office. Gotta get back to work, boss." I say as she rolls her eyes.

"HEY! MISSY, WE ARE GOING DRESS SHOPPING FOR THAT EVENT! It's only in three days!" Liz shouts at me as I give her a nod and press the elevator button.

"Tomorrow at 11 AM." I say as the doors shut and I am alone.