viii. dread

Matt, Emily, and myself were all headed to the cable car station. We needed to get somebody to help us. We thought by leaving to get some policemen to help us, it'd be better for everyone. It'd be safer, at least.

As we were walking to the cable car station, there was an awful chilly breeze in the air. It made me think of Hannah and Beth and how cold they must have been getting lost in these woods. It was absolutely freezing.

"Look! An axe!" I hear Matt say cheerfully, "I feel better with an axe." I nod and look up from my snowy boots. It was quite strange finding an axe in a door to the cable car station.

We were at the cable car station, but something seemed off. There was an axe in the door to the station, the lights were off and all of it didn't seem right.

Em and I try to get the door to open, but it doesn't seem to budge. We needed to get Matt to knock the door down with the axe. Besides, it would be hot to see knock a door down with an axe. Even if the timing couldn't be worse.

"Well break the door down, will ya?" Emily suggests, frustrated at the whole situation. This was all really weird and sad and just plain terrible.

"Woah, wait a second. If we start smashing shit down, he's gonna hear us." Matt states, and he's right. But what else could we do at this point? We needed to get into the cable car station.

"You got any better suggestions?" Emily asks him, and Matt immediately re-scans the area to look for another way in. It seemed to be getting colder by the minute. I just wanted to be warm for a minute.

"A window!" Matt says, cheerfully pointing at a window just to the right of where we were currently standing. We both follow Matt to the location.

"That's great Matt. I can just about fit my lip balm through that little slot!" She wasn't wrong, it was a very petite slot. I wasn't sure if I could even fit through it. We both knew that Matt definitely couldn't.

"Okay...fine. Here goes." Matt sighs and marches over to the door and prepares to knock it down. For some reason, he decided that now is a wonderful time for a pep talk. Really?

"Just do it!" Enily urges Matt, slightly pushing him. I giggle at the sight. How ironic. I was a much better girlfriend, and gave much better pep talks, but I ignored the interaction as much as I could bear.

After three swings of the axe, Matt was able to get us into the cable car station. However, it was nearly completely destroyed and a total mess. It looked like someone had came in and just threw things everywhere.

To my left, there were bags scattered all around the floor. Emily was trying to see where the cable car was, Matt was looking alongside her to find a way to get to it. It looked over ten feet away from us. Just far enough out of our reach. Someone must have planned this...

"We were here just a few hours ago, this must have just happened!" Emily states, she looks around with me. Who would have done this? What's the point of all of this?

"What the fuck is going on around here?" Matt asks us, as if we knew. We're all confused and frustrated. We were trapped on the mountain. No way out.

I wander into the inside of the station and find a map of the whole mountain. At the very top was a place called a 'sanatorium' and then just slightly southeast was a fire tower. That's it!

"No keys, no cable car. Looks like we're going to have to find another way..." Matt says, and I smile. They both look at me like I'm crazy, but I walk over to the side to show the map. I point right at the fire tower and they both smile back. Maybe we weren't doomed.

"Maybe it has a radio or something! I mean, it would, wouldn't it?" Emily asks and I agree. It was a good idea. There should be someone who works for the park ranger service or something to help us out.

"Wow, Rose, that was pretty brilliant." Matt places a hand on my shoulder and smiles, Emily rolls her eyes and walks closer to Matt.

"I helped her come to the conclusion!" Emily says, and Matt agrees. I couldn't help but feel anger towards Emily. She was not good for Matt, he deserved so much better.

Matt agrees with the plan, and we begin to head around the cable car station. Emily takes the lead followed my me, and then Matt. We walk carefully around the edge, but there's a long drop to the bottom of the mountain. One wrong move, and you're dead.

I see Emily beginning to slip, so I immediately grab a hold of her and pull back up. We exchange grateful smile and then get off the edge. Even though I didn't like her that much, I couldn't just let her die.

"Holy cannoli, thank God that's over!" Emily says, resting her hands on her knees. I laugh and so the same thing.

"You got that right." I laugh again, tired from the stress of the morning. It's not even three in the morning yet, but a lot of shit has already gone down.

We continue up the path to the fire tower. The whole time I was shaking. Not from the cold, but from the sheer terror of the unknown. I had no idea what was going to happen, but with Josh's death and the secret, I was just terrified and my vicious thoughts were not helping whatsoever.

We keep going but, we start to see no more path ahead. It's just a cliff. I sigh, as we were going to have to turn around and find another path to follow. I was tired, and I know they were too. I just wanted to find a place to stay and just sleep.

I look down and spot half of a sign that once read 'DANGER: CLIFF.' Matt quickly tells us both to watch where we walk.

"Yeah, I'd rather not spend the night falling off of a snowy cliff to my death. But thanks for the concern, Matt." I say sarcastically, and roll my eyes. Emily laughs and Matt just shrugs, unamused by me.

We start to walk away from the cliff but are stopped by a very loud, nonhuman scream. It sounded really high-pitched but also very low in tone. It somehow sounded similar. The scream was accompanied by the sound of a horde of deer coming right at us. There were a shit ton of them, too.

I look at Matt, who is the only person with any sort of weapon on them. I'm not so sure we should attack the horde, but I'm also not sure about just letting them trample us into the ground and off the cliff top. Either choice seemed unsafe.

"Jesus! Shit!" Emily says, trying to get as far away from the horde as possible without falling to her death. I do the same.

"Oh, damn." Matt mumbles under his breath. Whatever choice he makes, I hope it's the right one because if not...we're all going to die tonight.

————🦋————🦋————🦋————🦋————
Roslyn Baker
Matt's Ex

Character Stats

Honest: 7/10▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▫️▫️▫️
Charitable: 8/10▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▫️▫️
Funny: 8/10 ▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▫️▫️
Brave: 8/10 ▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▫️▫️
Romantic: 9/10 ▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▫️
Curious: 9/10 ▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▫️

Relationship Status

Ashley: 4/10 ▪️▪️▪️▪️▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️
Beth: 9/10 ▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▫️
Chris: 7/10 ▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▫️▫️▫️
Emily: 3/10 ▪️▪️▪️▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️▫️
Hannah: 9/10 ▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▫️
Jessica: 6/10 ▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▫️▫️▫️▫️
Josh: 8/10 ▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▫️▫️
Matt: 9/10 ▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▫️
Mike: 9/10 ▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▫️
Sam: 9/10 ▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▫️