Chapter 1

The kingdom of Briarbeth was a powerful human nation with large forests, vast plains, and lush vales. It had myriads of farms, villages, forts, castles and ruins that dotted the kingdom's landscape. Many wonderful places also were found here; such as the elven realm hidden within the depths of Briarbeth's large forest; the enchanted, joyful Academy of Pelagia where mages practiced and honed their powers; the inhospitable and craggy Mount Scaleburn; and of course, the capital city.

Briarbeth City, the capital of the kingdom, was a town of peace and prosperity. The lively roads were made from cobblestone and the buildings included poor shacks of beggars and timber-framed shops of artisans. Stalls and shops were frequent throughout the city's streets and slums; there merchants and travelers from all corners of the land would sell common and rare items. Men often wore tunics, trousers, and boots; and women often wore long dresses or skirts that touched the ground. The sound of people talking and children laughing was so common, one could claim it was omnipresent. The largest castle in the kingdom - Castle Briarbeth - could always be seen overlooking the city on a hill in the distance. The castle was a large, pointed building made of stone with several turrets; decorated by several windows, banners, and flags; with one tall spire in the center. It was the home of King Lionel, the 11th King of Briarbeth and the first and last in his dynasty.

***

In Briarbeth City's famous tavern and inn "The Drunken Huntsman", the esteemed knight Sir Thomas sat calmly at a table. Thomas was a tall, gallant man. He had long, straight golden blonde hair; fair skin, bright azure eyes; and stubble. He was wearing a fine black jerkin over a regal white shirt and a longsword was sheathed in the scabbard strapped to his back. Thomas sat at the table in the rather dusty corner near the barmaid's counter, looking around out of boredom. Rich torchlight provided him warmth as music and laughter filled the air. Slouching in his seat, Thomas watched the mirthful villagers as they clashed their cups together in toasts. In addition to this, minstrels were playing their upbeat music accompanied by couples dancing arm in arm. Despite his consuming sickness, Thomas still experienced the comforting joy of Briarbeth City's famous tavern and inn.

But this was no time to revel. No, not at all.

As soon as the minstrels finished their joyful song, Thomas abruptly stood up and cleared his throat. "Everyone, can I please have your attention?" He said loudly. The whole tavern went silent. Heads turned and slowly gazed upon the gallant knight. Suddenly, almost everyone began to cheer.

"Sir Thomas!" One villager rejoiced.

"Why didn't we notice you earlier?" Another villager said.

"Please, Sir! Tell us about your adventures!" Begged another.

"Silence!" Thomas shouted. The racket instantly ceased. "I cannot today. It pains me to say it, but-" His speech was interrupted by series of boisterous coughs. "I've been afflicted with The  Bite - a disease that no common medicine or spell can heal."

The crowd gasped.

"Settle down!" Exclaimed Thomas. The villagers did so at once. "Now, Lady Carolin, the daughter of our king's steward Lord Ernest went off into the forest early in the morning. She did so to find a rare plant that could only be found in the dangerous part of the woods - the territory of the goblins. She did so for a concoction she was making to potentially heal me of my sickness, believing she'd be able to-" Again, he spontaneously released another series of coughs. "E-Excuse me. She believed she would be able to fend for herself. However, she has not been seen since. Seeing how my disease will only hold me back, the king and Lord Ernest intends to establish a search party to find her in my stead."