chapter two

a/n: here is chapter 2. <3

"JOHN B," Beca shouted across the house, "where is my phone?" 

she sauntered into the kitchen and John B turned around from making his sandwich. 

"Why would I know?" he asked. She heard JJ chuckling from his spot on the couch and glared at him.

"JJ," she said slowly, "where's my phone?" 

He smirked and she walked steadily towards him. "JJ, give me my phone back," she said and he yanked it out from under his pillow. She chased him around the living room as he read her notifications. 

"You gained two Instagram followers - ow, fuck - six people retweeted your tweet, and you got two texts, hold on-"

"JJ give me my phone back!" Beca yelled. 

"Woah..." JJ said and his smile faltered. "You got a text from Rafe."

Beca stopped. "What?"

"Yeah..." JJ furrowed his brows, reading the texts. "One from an unknown number that says "hey, it's Rafe, I was wondering-"

"JJ give it here."

"-and one from Sarah that says, "Rafe asked for your number, he said it was important-"

"JJ, give me my phone."

JJ handed over the phone and Beca unlocked her device. 

Hey, it's Rafe. I was wondering if you wanted to go out on my boat today. 

She didn't even notice that JJ was looking over her shoulder and John B was walking over to see what the fuss was about.

"Why would he want that?!" JJ asked loudly. Beca shook her head. She was beyond confused.

"I have no idea." she said. She began drafting a text back to him. 

I guess... but why? 

That sounded too mean. But she had reason to be confused, didn't she?

JJ looked at her screen as she clicked the send button. "Wait, you're seriously thinking of going?" he asked, "why the fuck would you voluntarily spend time with that dick?"

"He was nice to me last night. It was really weird." Beca told him. 

"He just wants to get in your pants." JJ told her. Beca's stomach dropped. 

"Shut up, JJ." John B said. 

"That was mean, JJ." Beca said, and she felt her face growing hot. It's probably true, a voice inside her said, he doesn't even like me at all. 

"But, you know," John B began gently, "he is crazy."

"I'm just going to meet him on the dock," Beca decided. "I won't go on the boat with him."

JJ grumbled something and she shot him a glare. 

"Just be careful," John B said, "and text us if things get weird."

Beca nodded and felt her phone buzz in her hand. 

I like being around you. 

****

After lunch, Beca made her way down to the Camerons' house. She knocked on the front door and Sarah answered. 

"Hey," Sarah said brightly, "how are you?" she pulled Beca into a tight hug. 

Sarah had never bought into the whole kooks vs. pogues thing. Neither had Beca. If someone was friendly, they were friend material, no matter their background.