Chapter Sixteen - Wyatt City

Frank was at the guest house, waiting. He stood a half a head taller than Xiao and had a righteous air most older knights possessed. When the two parties saw each other, Bradley quickened his pace and strolled up to Frank and saluted him. Xiao followed and saluted Frank. 

"Good morning. You must be Xiao," Frank said.

"What gave it away?"

Frank smiled. "Your hair."

Xiao grinned and elbowed Bradley. "See, I am more memorable than others."

Frank laughed and Bradley scoffed. "Come in to my room," Frank said. "We have some work to do."

When they sat down, Bradley asked, "how is everything?"

Frank sighed. "I saved two maidens the past two weeks but I can't find the leader. The only way to intercept their trafficking would be to catch them before they drug the maidens and take them away."

"Have you interrogated any of the traffickers where they keep the maidens?" Xiao asked,

"Of course. They said that people of higher status in their organization wait for them in a predetermined spot. Other things, they don't know."

Xiao shared a look with Bradley. The traffickers were organized and secretive. "How do they kidnap the maidens?" Bradley asked.

"They get the location and then drug them through some type of scent."

"Lowly bastards," Xiao muttered, shaking his head. Then he raised his head and looked at Frank. "Frank-Ge, did you get the cure from them?"

"Only two doses. They didn't have an ample amount on them."

Xiao and Bradley looked at each other again, more concerned than before. What would they do if the drug was used on them?

"What if they run out? How do they avoid drugging themselves?" Xiao asked.

"I asked them that. They only have enough of the cure to give themselves when they drug the maidens. They get another dose every time they bring back the maiden."

Xiao's eyebrows raised. "They aren't too generous with their thugs, are they?" 

"Did you ever go to their meeting places?" Bradley asked. "They would have the cure."

"I did go, but those traffickers had already left by the time I got there."

Xiao nodded. Of course if they saw one man coming instead of their own men with a maiden slung over their shoulder, they would leave.

"We'll come out tonight," Bradley told Frank and Xiao nodded.

Frank smiled. "I'm glad you came."

"Frank-Ge, did you by any chance meet our older brother, John?" Xiao asked.

Frank shook his head. "Perhaps he went to another place. There are many hotspots."

Xiao and Bradley both hung their head. They - Xiao in particular - hadn't even properly chatted with John before he left.

"Well, we'll go around the city for a bit and get something to eat," Bradley told Frank. 

"Come along with us," Xiao offered.

Frank shook his head, smiling. "I have to visit a scholar today. He's got some books for me."

As they walked down the main street, Xiao looked about him carefully. Though the city was quite big and it seemed that it used to be very lively - there were many shops, flags, and banners, it appeared abandoned. Not many people were on the streets. Up ahead, a flag fluttered in the wind that said Bomeng Restaurant.