22: The worst birthday in history of Birthdays

"YOU COMPLETE MESSY IDIOT!" I yell in frustration. "Jeez, Ems" says Harry "I dunno if uncle Vernon hates Hedwig's hooting more or your yelling." Buddy," I warn "you better clean up your side of the room!" "Why? I'm happy with it?" says Harry idly flipping through a book, Quidditch Through the ages; An Updated version. Something I gave him for Christmas last year. At Hogwarts, my stomach twists. Thinking of Hogwarts makes me nostalgic. I shake my head and glare at my brother, who's hair was as messy as ever. He just grew taller. Me on the other hand well, I cut my hair. Now my previous curls which fell just beyond my shoulders now hung an inch or two beyond my ear in a choppy bob. Given the horrible heat, I don't mind.

My essays are written, of course. I didn't need my books, I practically memorized them last year, Harry on the other hand. . ."Well, you wouldn't help me with homework" he reminded me, I sigh in defeat "If you clean your room;" I gesture to his unmade bed, and floor scattered with things "-- Then I will help you." Deal" I roll my eyes. "I swear living with Hermione was so much eas--" I pause then sigh. My best friend hasn't been in touch all summer, neither has my other best friend--though he's closer to Harry-- Ron Weasly, Or Fred and George or Draco Malfoy or Hagrid or anyone really. And they promised.

I miss them.

"Ok, I'll do it tomorrow. " sighs Harry "No" I growl "Now." "Aww" Harry whines "c'mon Ems, it's our Birthday!" I sigh "Alright" I mutter "let's go down to breakfast" We went down for breakfast. We don't expect the Dursley's to remember our birthday, they completely ignored the last two, I really did hope that this year our friends would remember, but I guess I was wrong.  Harry and I sat down for breakfast being completely ignored by Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia, and Dudley, we are used to it.  If they were unhappy to see us, it is nothing to compared to how we feel. 

All our books, cauldrons, harry's nimbus two thousand, our wands, our robes have been locked up in the cupboard under the stairs 

Of course, Uncle Vernon was talking about the dinner tonight, two officials were coming for dinner, to make a deal with his firm Grunnings. He had going on about it for weeks. "If all goes well today" he continued "we'll be shopping for a holiday home in Majorca this time tomorrow." A big difference that will make. They won't like us any better. "Let's go over the plan one more time." continued Uncle Vernon "Dudley, you will be?" "Waiting to take their coats at the door" said Dudley promptly "May I take your coats, Mr and Mrs Mason?" "Oh, they'll love him" simpered Aunt Petunia. Harry and I shared a mutual eye roll. "Jolly good, Dudley! What about you petunia?" "I'll be in the living room, waiting to welcome them graciously into our home," she said. "Good. . . good and you both?" sneered Uncle Vernon at me and Harry.

"We'll be in our room," I said quietly.

"Making no noise and pretending we don't exist." added Harry.

"Too right you will" said uncle Vernon nastily. "Then you'll lead them in for dinner Petunia and I'll bring in the deal midway, If all goes to plan then we'll be shopping for a holiday home in Majorca this time today."

It won't much of differance, they'll still hate us in Majorca.

After, we left through the back door. It was a brilliant, sunny day. We crossed the lawn, slumped down on the garden bench. No cards, no presents, and we would be spending the eveningpretending not to exist. We gazed miserably into the hedge. we hadnever felt so lonely, we both know that more than Harry missed Quidditch, and I missed the library we missed our friends but..did they miss us?

Also, we just didn't belong here.

Countless times, Harry had been on the point of unlockingHedwig's cage by magic and sending her to Ron and Hermionewith a letter, but I told him it wasn't worth the risk. Underage wizards weren'tallowed to use magic outside of school. Harry and I hadn't told the Dursleys this; we knew it was only their terror that we might turnthem all into dung beetles that stopped them from locking us inthe cupboard under the stairs with our wands and harry's broomstick. Forthe first couple of weeks back, Harry and I had enjoyed muttering nonsense words under our breath and watching Dudley tearing out ofthe room as fast as his fat legs would carry him. " I would like to see, Malfoy even" said Harry disgustedly "just to make sure it wasn't a dream." I nudged him, "he isn't half bad as you think Harry" I sigh. Harry Snorts "If you say so."

Harry suddenly sat bolt upright on the garden bench.  

"You alright?"

"The hedge" he whispered "look at the hedge."

I did.

He hadbeen staring absent-mindedly into the hedge — and the hedge wasstaring back. Two enormous green eyes had appeared among theleaves. I was the verge of jumping up when  a jeering voice floated across thelawn."I know what day it is," sang Dudley, waddling toward us. The huge eyes blinked and vanished."What?" Harry said, not taking his eyes off the spot where theyhad been."I know what day it is," Dudley repeated, coming right up tohim."Well done," I said rolling my eyes "So you've finally learned the days ofthe week.""Today's your birthday," sneered Dudley. "How come youhaven't got any cards? Haven't you even got friends at that freakplace?""Better not let your mum hear you talking about our school,"said Harry coolly.Dudley hitched up his trousers, which were slipping down hisfat bottom."Why're you staring at the hedge?" he said suspiciously."we're trying to decide what would be the best spell to set it onfire," I said .Dudley stumbled backward at once, a look of panic on his fatface."You c-can't — Dad told you you're not to do m-magic — hesaid he'll chuck you out of the house — and you haven't got anywhere else to go — you haven't got any friends to take you —""Jiggery pokery!" said Harry in a fierce voice, I joined in. "Hocus pocus —squiggly wiggly —" 

"MUUUUUUM!" howled Dudley, tripping over his feet as hedashed back toward the house. "MUUUUM! They're doing you knowwhat!"Harry and I paid dearly for our moment of fun. As neither Dudley nor the hedge was in any way hurt, Aunt Petunia knew we hadn't reallydone magic, but we still had to duck as she aimed a heavy blow at our heads with the soapy frying pan. Then she gave us work to do,with the promise we wouldn't eat again until we'd finished.While Dudley lolled around watching and eating ice cream,Harry cleaned the windows, washed the car, mowed the lawn, while I trimmed the flowerbeds, pruned and watered the roses, and repainted the garden bench. 

I knew that we shouldn't have risen to Dudley'sbait, but Dudley had said the very thing Harry and I had been thinking ourselves . . . maybe we didn't have any friends at Hogwarts. . . .Wish they could see the famous Potter Twins now, I thought savagelyas I spread manure on the flower beds, my back aching, sweat running down my face. 

It was half past seven in the evening when at last, exhausted, weheard Aunt Petunia calling for us."Get in here! And walk on the newspaper!"Harry and I moved gladly into the shade of the gleaming kitchen. Ontop of the fridge stood tonight's pudding: a huge mound ofwhipped cream and sugared violets. A loin of roast pork was sizzling in the oven."Eat quickly! The Masons will be here soon!" snapped AuntPetunia, pointing to two slices of bread and a lump of cheese on thekitchen table. She was already wearing a salmon-pink cocktaildress.Harry and I washed our hands and bolted down our pitiful supper. Themoment he had finished, Aunt Petunia whisked away his plate."Upstairs! Hurry!"

 As we passed the door to the living room, Harry and I caught aglimpse of Uncle Vernon and Dudley in bow ties and dinner jackets. He had only just reached the upstairs landing when the doorbell rang and Uncle Vernon's furious face appeared at the foot ofthe stairs."Remember — one sound —"Harry and I crossed to our bedroom on tiptoe, slipped inside, closedthe door,I collasped on my bed Harry Turned to do the same.

 The trouble was, there was already someone sitting on it.