(8) This Is..

Alex sat there by the edge of his bed. He couldn't shake off this odd feeling that he had been experiencing, sensing the presence of a certain girl that laid down comfortably on his bed. His back turned to her and vise versa; he couldn't look at her after what had just happened. He felt guilt for both reasons--that he had that kind of moment with her, and felt things that he was only supposed to feel for Caeli. For his woman. But if Alex were to be honest with himself, it's that he wasn't even sure if he even was in a position to be calling Caeli his.

And the second reason.. Was that he felt guilt knowing that he had just embarrassed Vanessa, his best friend, at the moment. He himself felt ashamed as well, but was reminded that he should have taken action and stopped himself more early. He undoubtedly made her think poorly about herself. Adding the fact that Caeli, by the last minute, had apparently decided not to go along with them; and Alex knew that was her final decision--he couldn't bear telling Vanessa that as it would only make her feel worse about herself. The twin also had her own problems. Has she moved on from her struggle in social media? Perhaps. He hoped she did. Alex didn't like the image of his best friend looking so dejected. He smiled thinking that she most likely did move on; Nessa was, after all, a strong girl. No matter how fragile she looked he had faith that she will not be taken down by anybody so easily. For she would just get up once again.

Alex felt Vanessa shift from her position, which caused him to look at her. Now her body was turned to his direction. Was she still awake? or was she unconscious and just unknowingly moved? either way, when he saw that her face looked so calm and rested it put a satisfying emotion through him. Her lips looked so soft along with her cheeks that wore a faintly pink hue on them. "Nessa? Are you still awake?" he asked softly and wondered. There was no response. Maybe she had actually already dozed off. Alex breathed out a slow sigh which felt relieving. He checked his watch to look at the time; It showed 6:48 PM. Aaron and Roni had told them that they would be home by 7 so that they would all still have time to discuss the details of their trip to Cabo; The time meant that they'll be arriving soon. Regarding JP and the others, they'll probably be home late by midnight depending on how much they enjoyed themselves.

Alex began to stand up from his bed, careful not to wake up his sleeping friend. He figured that he would wait for the two lovebirds to arrive by waiting in his living room and kill some time there. When he stood, for some reason he found himself glance at Vanessa. The feeling of regret had struck him again. Alex quietly walked over to the twin and silently planted a kiss on her forehead, whispering to her an apology before turning to leave the room. The young man wanted to convey how remorseful he had been for causing Nessa to feel ashamed, but somehow he wasn't able to say it to her when she was conscious. What a coward he was, his notion to himself.

As soon as Alex sat down on his sofa, he thought that he would call Aaron and ask where they were at the moment; but his older brother had beat him to it when Aaron rang his phone just as he picked it up from his pocket.

"Hello? Are you guys almost home?" it was the first thing Alex had asked. "ALEX!" Aaron's sudden loud voice startled him, causing the young man to instinctively move his ear away from his phone. "Ow! Aaron don't shout, it hurt my ear!" He whispered back in a grim manner. "Oops, sorry, wait--why are you whispering?" Aaron asked confused, "Nessa's asleep and I don't wanna wake her. You're lucky I didn't put this on speaker" Alex replied. Aaron understood and apologized again. Apparently he called to let them know that him and Roni were almost home; also the fact that he couldn't hold back his excitement when the older twin let him know about their initial plan to celebrate his birthday by going to Cabo. Alex was puzzled, since he thought that Roni decided to only tell Aaron about the trip once they've all managed to book a flight.

"What? Roni told you already? That sucks" The younger Burriss moped a bit. "Why?" Aaron inquired, "She said she would tell you when we've managed to arrange a flight.." Alex answered. "Well... Guess what Alex.." Aaron began; Alex felt him grinning on the phone. "No, don't tell me.. No! Really?" the young male couldn't help himself as well, and he leaned forward upon the realization of his brother's hint. "Yes!! We've booked a flight!! It was part of Roni's surprise for me!" Aaron laughed, Alex could hear Roni laughing with him. "Alright, I'll see you in a few minutes" Alex chuckled and said their goodbyes on the phone.