(9) Conflicting Thoughts

What was this. What were they doing. Vanessa could hear the loud thumping of her heart through her ears the moment her lips made contact with her friend's chapped ones. It was such a riveting moment for her, and it was certain to her now that this was an unforgettable one. As much as the boy is childish and can be annoying in her eyes at most times, he certainly knew how to kiss. As their intimacy continued, the young woman's passions grew along. For her, the instance washed away her worries, she wasn't able to name any of her problems as it happened. And though that kind of interaction may be considered sensual, contrary to her within that instance was where she felt the most innocent--as if discovering this new emotion all over again. Or was it because of her mood? Vanessa couldn't help herself and smiled in their kiss. She felt him smile as well. Then, gently, they pulled away from each other but not before the boy followed up one last soft smooch which gave her a surprise before their lips parted. When they fixed their positions and distance from one another, her gaze immediately led to his. It was then she noticed his brown orbs shimmering under the light of the full moon; they wore a solemn expression, with still a touch of tenderness letting her know of his affections, but the sadness stood out. His smile was weak, but it forced itself to be there for her. Vanessa's momentary smile slowly retreated as well, as she looked away from him.

Alex slowly sat his knees up, wrapped his arms around them and hid his face. What had occurred left him speechless, but more importantly he felt dejected for some reason as well. But his heart continued to race. Part of the adrenaline from the kiss was still there, but slowly started fading away.  What is this.. what about Caeli.. He didn't show Vanessa how his brow was scrunched hidden at that moment; they eased up just as his friend spoke up. "Alex..?" Vanessa started in a soft tone. The girl was just as speechless, but she didn't want the silence to go on. "...Yeah..?" The boy replied in an ever so meek and muffled voice. Vanessa never thought of what to say next, for once there was nothing to talk about; but the situation left her baffled more than anything. Just looking at him made her heart race, and with his presence still so close, Alex just being beside her after their short intimate moment really was too much for her at that time. Yet, for some reason her eyes were tearing up, and a sudden realization had dawned upon her once more, quickly replacing her glee with shame. "I..Wh--uhm.." Vanessa struggled to form words the second she had picked up the gist of their situation and her friend's tender reaction. Turning her head away from the boy, she blinked her eyes and composed herself, "..Let's just go."

Alex gently brought his face up from his knees and glanced at Vanessa, who was not looking at him right then. He breathed in as he stood up, patting his shorts to relieve them of any sand or dirt that had been stuck in the fabric. "Yeah. I think it's time to go back" he agreed in a rather monotonous tone. "Come on" the boy offered his hand, then Vanessa turned to him, took it and let her friend's hand pull herself up. Alex pretended not to notice her slightly reddened eyes. They released their grasp and trailed back to their friends; neither of them having uttered a single word.

* * * * * * * * * *

"Hey, you guys are back!" Roni greeted the pair as soon as they entered the hotel lobby. "Where were you? Have you two been together this whole time? I told Franny and the others that they could go ahead to their rooms." she added as she led them to the side of the doorway. "No," Alex answered abruptly, "well, I was with Fousey and Adande but then decided to take a stroll alone then I bumped into Nessa. So..then.. we.." he cleared his throat, "then we headed back." he finished. "That's all?" Roni asked dementedly. For the older twin, she thought that Alex was quite curt with his story this time than usual to her surprise; the same reason why she didn't believe him in an instant. She was sort of disappointed for the lack of detail, yet somehow it did not occur to her at that instance that something else might have happened between her sister and her friend. Despite his flirty demeanor that she had been so irritated about, unbeknownst to Alex he had actually managed to gain Roni's trust.