Novella six

Once me and Vidarr started to dance in the centre of the deck the pirates left and stood at the side watching and the band began a slower more peaceful tune.

Vidarr could certainly dance and I hadn't forgotten much from my lessons so he didn't exactly need to teach me.

While we danced everything around us was silent and perfect and I could no longer hear the crew chattering around us.

As the waltz came to an end Vidarr leaned forwards towards me, and I don't know who started the kiss, but for a brief moment we were in each others arms.

The sound of the crew cheering brought me back to reality and I stepped away. I expected to see him smiling in some sort of develish pirate way, but instead he was looking away, cheeks red hot.

"I'm sorry..." He began.

"No I'm sorry, I shouldn't have
..." I started.

We both looked at each other and started laughing, not really sure what the joke was.

Suddenly one of the lanterns hung on the rigging fell and smashed against the deck setting the dry wood alight.

I screamed.

The crew began shouting and swearing, as they searched for buckets

Then a drunken pirate pushed a barrel of some form of alcohol over into the flames and the fire gave a giant 'whooosh' as it spread up the mast and across the boat.

I was frozen where I stood, but Vidarr grabbed me, pushing something cold into my palm and put me in an empty barrel which he rolled off the deck.

To be continued...