7-Flair

Chema chajiuza, kibaya chajitembeza.
(A bad thing strolls, a good thing sells itself.)

______________________________________

Taji

For the past four days, I'd managed to coax Tanya and her stubborn husband to let me stay with them. The last day, however, was the worst. I arrived from work, exhausted by the traffic, ready to go straight to the shower. Far from the normal two other occupants of the house, there was a large group, like about ten to twelve men in the living room. The choking smell of liquor filled my nostrils the minute their loud chatter died down upon my entry.

I politely smiled at them to push away the burdening feeling of awkwardness. What I got in reponse were mumbled greetings, clearly showing disdain. I gave them a nod then walked past them to my room as I felt judgemental stares stab my back.

They hate me too.
Surprise surprise.

I realised that Tanya wasn't around so I texted her.

Taji: Uko? (where are you)

Tanya: At a friend's, I'll be back late.

Tanya: Oh my, I totally forgot to mention that Alex is having friends over.

Taji: It's cool, met them already.

Tanya: Are they bothering you?

Taji: Nothing out of the ordinary

Tanya: They are quite heavy on the bottle in their boy squad hangouts. I really hope it's not a bother.

Taji: Relax sis, it's okay. I'll be fine

After the warm shower, my tummy was grumbling but the thought of going to the kitchen made me cringe.

I'm a 25 year old man.
What's the worst they could do to me anyway?

Running down the stairs, I had my head held high as I walked past them into the kitchen to rummage through the refrigerator. There was some left over rice and beef stew. I served it onto a plate and placed it in the microwave. As I leaned back listening to the roaring machine, a drunken voice called out.

"Oya! Chizi! (Hey! Mad man!) Come join us!"

Mad?
Me?

Choosing to ignore it, I grabbed a glass and poured water into it. I gulped down the water as another drunken voice called out.

"Come on! You shy now?" Followed by a thunderous laugh. "Oh, sorry, we forgot that there's two people living in you." Another thunderous laugh.

Don't let it get to you.

My grip on the glass tightened but I let it go dropping it into the sink unwilling to be some dramatic soap opera character that grazes his palms from breaking a glass in frustration. The microwave beeped and I quickly took out the plate, sticking a spoon into it, making my way out of there.