i. young dumb & broke

⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚: *⋆

⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚: *⋆.*:・゚: ⋆*・゚: .⋆

one young dumb & broke

⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚: *⋆.*:・゚: ⋆*・゚: .⋆

          Leah Thompson liked a lot of things.

          She liked the way the waves sounded against the beach at night, the gentle crash of the water into the sand. She liked the way that raspberries tasted, the more sour against her tongue the better. She liked the color yellow and that scrunchies were making a comeback. She liked sun-showers, when rain would torrent down against the backdrop of a bright sky. She liked surfing and swimming, how the water always seemed to welcome her home.

          She liked her tight knit group of friends, how each person stood out on their own and how nothing would be the same if one were to suddenly leave — trust her, they'd already been through that once. She liked days out on the marsh, slinging back as many spiked lemonades as she could before JJ had a chance to mock her taste in alcohol. She liked nights at the Chateau, curled up on John's B's porch with a joint. She liked keggers at the Boneyard, dancing with Kiara and listening to Pope fail to pick up girls (usually because he went a little too in depth with his coroner talk).

          Leah liked a lot of things, but mostly, she liked the summer.

          In all her years living in the Outer Banks, she'd come to learn that summer was the only time of the year that she truly, fully, one hundred percent enjoyed. That wasn't to say that she didn't care for fall, winter, or spring. She loved Halloween, for one, she wasn't a weirdo. She didn't mind spring breezes and she enjoyed how the heat wasn't as brutal in the winter. But in the grand scheme of things, those seasons aligned with school and didn't give her the satisfaction that summer did.

          Summer was a time to be free. When she was little, she adored the summer mainly because it meant she could spend most days in the water, swimming around and playing. Leah had always been drawn to the water, feeling more like herself against the waves and the depths than anywhere else. As she got older, her love of summer evolved into something else, an appreciation for the adventures to have and for the memories that she could make with her friends.

          And in her opinion, summer was the best time to be a Pogue.

          You see, the OBX was divided. Well, at least it was on Kildare Island, which was where Leah's home existed amongst the string of North Carolina's barrier islands. One island, two tribes. North and south. The rich half and then everybody else from the wrong side of the tracks. It was a terrible cliche, really, but that was how they lived.

          Up on Figure Eight, life was sweet like cinnamon. Home to the Kooks, that half of the island practically lived like royalty. With their manicured lawns and wraparound porches, they lived a rich life in what was probably their second mansion. Access to country clubs and private schools and yachting on the weekends, Kooks put on a show of wealth and greed. Granted, their picturesque family appearances were probably a mask to cover up the shitty humans they were underneath, but that was the thing about Kooks. Appearances were everything.