Chapter 12

Light

Roman lay, still unconscious, on the couch.

Patton sat beside him, holding an ice pack to his head, making sure he didn't somehow hurt himself more.

As soon as they had gotten back, Logan had bandaged and compressed Roman's wound, and laid him on the couch. Occasionally he would moan, roll over slightly, but never enough to hurt himself with Patton sitting there.

Logan was off researching ways to help someone with amnesia, which he guessed was the closest thing to whatever had happened to Virgil. Nothing was very helpful.

"Logan!" came a hushed call from downstairs.

"Yes Patton?" asked Logan, coming down the stairs.

"Roman's awake."

Logan shifted his attention to Roman, who was wincing and holding a hand to his head. Patton passed him the ice pack.

Roman held the ice pack to his head and tried to sit up. Patton looked to Logan. He shook his head.

"Roman, you've got to just stay still for a bit, okay?" asked Patton quietly.

Roman groaned in pain and lay back down. He mumbled out, "Okay.. Can we turn off the lights? It's too bright.."

Logan flicked the light switch. The room went dark. They could still see, since it was only 11:30 in the morning.

"That's better."

Logan nodded.

"Oh no." Roman sat bolt upright, not caring about the pounding in his head or the alarming ways the world was bending. "We've probably scared Virgil off for good! There'll be no chance of getting him to trust us again after I had a literal sword fight with Remus!"

"Roman, lay down! You'll only hurt yourself more!" said Patton, leaning him back down.

Roman allowed himself to be guided down to the couch again. "But what if he never trusts us ever again?"

"He will, Roman. We'll help him trust us and get his memory back," said Logan.

"Okay, Logan," Roman took a breath. "Let's give it a few days. Then we can plan what to do next."

Patton nodded. "That'll give your head enough time to heal. Right Logan?"

"Well, it depends." Logan sat down on the couch next to Roman's legs. He looked closely at Roman's eyes. "You don't seem to have a concussion." Logan performed a series of eye tests with Roman. "I think a few days is enough time, yes."

Logan sat back on a chair Patton had conjured up, since he didn't want to move too far away from Roman.

Patton voiced the thought they all had.

"What do we do now?"

Dark

Virgil was exhausted. The stresses the early morning had given him, along with repressing a panic attack, had completely drained him.

Virgil yawned, stretched out over the couch, grabbed the blanket Deceit and Remus were currently sitting under, covered himself with it, and promptly went to sleep. Deceit, once he had noticed someone had stolen his blanket, nudged Remus and indicated Virgil behind them.

Remus turned around and smiled.

"Nap time I guess then," Deceit whispered, and Remus took another blanket for them to share, and together under the blanket, they drifted off on the floor of blankets.