12.9.14

Dear December,

A few things happened today, not really major, and I don't know what to say. I don't know what to write. Is this what happens when I spend so much time reading? God, no wonder I stopped. It's funny how suddenly I went from three million words a year to drawing and playing music and writing and creating something. I guess I just became tired of consuming words when I could make them myself. Why am I talking about this? We started a reading competition thingamajig at school today, and somehow I feel like I never have enough time. I feel so displaced, because three of the people who were always on my team aren't here with me.

Today, an old friend of mine called. His/her birthday is coming up, and we made plans for baking a cake. S/he's in the gray area of changing genders, and it's so confusing trying to talk about him/her to my other friends who aren't familiar with or particularly respectful of non-binary/queer people. For me, it's a decade of gender to put in the past, and welcoming in a new one. I think I'm gonna get him/her chocolate. Would it be weird to get a baby naming book? S/he's thinking of choosing a new name, and I just wish there were character naming books or something, a little less imposing.

I don't know. Those are my thoughts, and the hardest part is that I can't share them with my parents. They're half a century old and so are some of their beliefs.

Esther