xxiii. THE DISAPPEARANCE OF DUMBLEDORE AND FIREWORKS

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE
xxiii: THE DISAPPEARANCE OF DUMBLEDORE AND FIREWORKS

CHAPTER TWENTY THREExxiii: THE DISAPPEARANCE OF DUMBLEDORE AND FIREWORKS

BY ORDER OF THE MINISTRY OF MAGIC

Dolores Jane Umbridge (High Inquisitor) has replaced Albus Dumbledore as Head of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

The above is in accordance with Educational Decree Number Twenty-eight.

Signed: Cornelius Oswald Fudge, Minister for Magic

           THE NOTICE HAD BEEN PUT UP ALL AROUND the school overnight. As the students woke up, they were shocked to see the sudden change in the school. There were many rumours about Dumbledore travelling around the school, some weird details being added in the original story of what had happened. Everybody knew that Marietta and Harry were the only witnesses who seen the scene in Dumbledore's office, and since Marietta was now in the Hospital Wing being treated for her pimples, Harry was the one being bombarded with questions.

          'Dumbledore will be back before long,' Ernie Macmillan said confidently on the way back from Herbology, after listening to Harry's story. 'They couldn't keep him away in our second year and they won't be able to this tine. The Fat Friar told me──' he dropped his voice, so that Harry, Ron, Hermione and Julianna had to lean in closer to him to hear '──that Umbridge tried to get back into his office last night after they'd searched the castle and grounds for him. Couldn't get past the gargoyle. The Head's office has sealed itself against her.' Ernie smirked. 'Apparently, she had a right little tantrum.'

           'Served her right,' Julianna said, smiling in triumph, 'trying to replace Dumbledore. No one could possibly do that while he's still alive.'

          'I expect she really fancied herself sitting up there in the Head's office,' Hermione said viciously as they walked up the stone steps into the Entrance Hall. 'Lording it over all the other teachers, the stupid puffed-up, power-crazy old──'

          'Now, do you really want to finish that sentence, Granger?' Draco Malfoy said, sliding out from behind the door with Crabbe and Goyle behind him. His pale and pointed face filled with malice.

          'Afraid I'm going to have to dock a few points from Gryffindor and Hufflepuff,' he drawled.

          'You can't take points from fellow, prefects, Malfoy,' Ernie said at once, forehead creased.

          'I know prefects can't dock points from each other,' Malfoy sneered while Crabbe and Goyle sniggered. 'But members of the Inquisitorial Squad──'