Chapter 1: Drugs? Ehhh... Maybe

Courtney was lying in her bed, staring at the ceiling. Sulking was her favorite part of the day, it allowed her to regret her bad decisions right before she made more bad decisions.

But unfortunately for her, she was startled out of her thoughts by a knock on her door.

"Courtney, dinner is ready," Her father, Jacob Mires, called through the door.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm coming."

She took her time getting up, opening the door and going downstairs. She glanced over the table.

Her brother, Parker Mires, scowled at her. Her Dad, Cracker Mires, smiled at her. And Jacob was just barely sitting down.

She scowled back at Parker and took her place at the table.

"So, how was school today?" Cracker asked, glancing between the two children.

Parker shrugged while Courtney muttered "shitty".

"Language," Jacob warned.

"Don't give me that, you swear like a sailor," she spat.

Cracker gave her a look, "Don't give us that attitude,"

Courtney mimicked him mockingly.

Courtney didn't have a British accent like Cracker, so it came out horribly.

The table fell silent as they continued to eat.

"...Way to go, you ruined the mood, again," Parker said,

"Shut it, bipolar bitch,"

"Courtney!"

Parker looked visibly distraught and hurt.

"Go to your room!" Cracker ordered when she didn't react to her name.

She rolled her eyes, "I didn't want to leave it in the first place,"

She darted up the stairs and slammed her room door on the way in.

She let out a small sigh of relief. Her room was the only place that brought her comfort.

But she was going to leave this comfort for a bigger one: leaving the house for a bit.

She walked over to her window and opened it.

Courtney is a creature called an "Avian". It means she has bird wings. She inherited this trait from Jacob.

She unhid her wings and flew out her window. She went up into the sky to avoid being spotted by humans.

She relished the feeling of a deep, cold, breath. It filled her lungs and froze her negative feelings.

She landed herself in an alleyway and hid her wings. She was about to walk out when a teen around her age intercepted her.

"Hey, girl," He sorta whispered,

"Uh, hi,"

The guy's eyes were bloodshot and he was drooling. He looked stoned.

"You have any money on you?"

"15 pounds, why?"

The guy got uncomfortably close, "I'll give you weed for 10,"

"...I'll think about it," Courtney said, pushing him away.

He hit the floor like a ton of bricks and she hopped over him, darting out of the alleyway.

After an hour of aimless walking, Courtney headed home. Cracker was doing yet another puzzle on the floor of the living room, while Jacob watched him with a smile.

Courtney went back upstairs, but Jacob called after her: "Sneak out again and we'll actually do something about it!"

She just scoffed.