Chapter 5: I'm Sorry

Courtney was so caught up in her thoughts, she forgot to move. So Jacob found her out there, all alone. Just sitting there.

"Aren't you supposed to be at school?" He asked startling her out of her thoughts. Courtney released her knees and looked at him, "Um..."

"Is that... blood on you?"

"No!" Courtney shouted, jumping to her feet and running inside and up to her room. She quickly unzipped her jacket and shoved it into the bottom of her laundry basket. She paced, panicking.

There was a knock at her door and she hesitantly answered it.

"Want to explain?" Cracker asked. Jacob was lingering behind him.

"Explain what?"

"Why you're home and why you were covered in blood," He responded calmly.

Courtney glanced around, as if a portal would miraculously open and suck her in, taking her from this horrible situation. But alas, none did.

"...I..."

"Did you kill someone?"

His words were so casual, it was jarring.

"How would you react if I said did...?"

As if it wasn't obvious. The police would be called, she'd be arrested. Her parents would disown her. Parker would probably laugh because she got caught. Her life would fall apart.

Cracker slipped past her, grabbed her wrist and lead her over to the bed and sat on it, forcing her to as well.

"Look, its okay if you did, as long as you don't do it again,"

Courtney could only stare at him. Did he just say it was okay that she slaughtered someone? Well, slaughter was an overstatement.

Cracker sensed her confusion and offered a little smile, "I killed someone when I was about your age too..."

Jacob turned and walked away, clearly done with the absolute mess of a family he helped create.

"...You killed someone...?"

She always thought of her Dad like she did Parker: Weak, pathetic, and a crybaby.

Then again, she hadn't thought Parker could kill anyone. Why is she surprised anymore? She has a headache. A headache everywhere.

"Yeah, I did, and I regret it... but I was able to move past it because I promised myself I'd never do it again, and the bastard deserved it," he muttered the last part.

Courtney slowly nodded and turned her head away. Next she was going to find out Jacob also killed someone.

"...Get out..." She murmured. She needed to think. To sulk.

Yeah, sulking.

That always helped.