Chapter 1

First day of high school. I was completely lost. It was a new school. I had no friends, and I didn't really plan on making any. The goal was to make it through high school and then see what happens. Besides, I didn't really think anyone wanted to be friends with the new girl. So I kept my head down and didn't talk to anyone. Now, I wish I did.

English class. History class. Spanish class. Gym. Lunch. Art class. It all went by in a blur. I sat in the back in every single class, barely paying attention. But then came your class. Science.

I still sat in the back, not knowing who you were. You hadn't arrived yet. I closed my eyes and pulled the sleeves of my sweater over my hands. Honestly, I just wanted this dreadful day to end. I was so tired of the boring routine already. I glanced around the class, hoping to see someone new. Sadly, it was the same kids. The same intimidating group of prepsters. The same emo crowd. The nerds even had their little clique. They all looked the same, but at least they had a place. I had no one. But then I saw you.

I tried not to stare, I really did. But I couldn't help myself. You were gorgeous. I probably looked like a freak. I still remember what you were wearing. A formfitting black dress with black heels. The image is burned into my brain, and I don't know if that is a good thing or not.

You tucked your short hair behind your ears. You glanced in my direction, and gave a quick smile. I turned away, because I was embarrassed. I could feel the blush creeping up my neck. I didn't even know your name, and you had me all flustered.

You started to call roll. You were the first teacher to do that today. I thought that was nice. It made it seem like you really do care about your teaching occupation - about your students. You called out my name.

"Emma."

I liked the way my name sounded on your tongue. You said my name as if it was with 3 m's instead of two. You made it sound more interesting than it really was. Your voice was softer than I had imagined. You looked so confident, I expected a loud, booming, stern voice. But instead I was met by a voice barely above a whisper, but still had the power to silence the whole classroom. It was hypnotizing.

I glanced up and smiled - the first smile I had given all day. I saw you staring at me. Your eyes stayed on me for a prolonged amount of time. Was it obvious that I was blushing? Oh God. Your eyes. I barely even saw them and yet I remember them perfectly. They were brown. It wasn't the color that was interesting. It was the way your eyes were lit up with curiosity. They make you look so young.

I don't really remember what happened during class. All I could think about was how I wanted to get to know you. Not in a romantic way, at least not yet. I just thought you were interesting. But then again, how much did I really want to know about you? I kept on telling myself that it was silly, but the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to open up to you, and I hardly open up to anyone. I wanted you to know more about me. I wanted you to think about me. That would be nice for once. But how was I supposed to tell? You were my teacher. And Ms. Mills, on that day science became my favorite subject. It became the class that I knew I would try my hardest in. I looked forward to it every day.