Chapter 1

***Author's Note:***

This chapter doesn't start off with an action/mystery scene so bare with me... it will get more interesting, promise! Well, fingers crossed anyway:)

Chapter 1

Riley's POV:

"Hey Ted," I said, walking into Study Room 2 where we'd arranged to meet.

"Hey." He called, causally looking up from his work.

I sat down opposite him and spoke across the table. "So what did you want help with?"

"All this maths stuff." He gestured with annoyance clear in his voice.

I laughed a little at the way his nose scrunched up when he was annoyed. "Can I see it then?" I asked reaching over for the textbook he had.

"Nah, come sit round here." He said. I rolled my eyes but moved seats so that we were next to each other side on.

"Right, so which part?" I asked again.

"These simultaneous equations," He said pointing down. "I don't get what the hell they mean." He moved his right arm so that it was resting over the back of my seat and I wriggled a little at his touch.

"Okay, erm... well if you look at this first equation..."

"Anything for you babe." He said with a wink. Why was he playing up like this? I mean, don't get me wrong, Ted was a massive flirt. He'd win gold place in any flirting competition but he didn't flirt with me. He'd been one of my best friends for a long time now and he usually came to me with stories of his latest girl. I've literally lost track of how many girlfriends he's had.

"Shut up Ted and pay attention." I said, carelessly elbowing him in the arm.

He just grinned and turned away from me, back to the equation. "So," I continued, "You get the two equations and label them one and two, then you find -"

"I think I need some air, to clear my head, I'm gonna go outside for a minute. You coming?" Ted said, moving to get up. I didn't have time, I was meeting Jayden later.

"No."

"What?"

"We've just started! You've got to stick with this Ted or you're never going to get it." I snapped.

"Alright alright, chill, I'll stay!" He answered, putting his hands up in surrender and sitting down again. Then he sighed and turned to look at me. I blinked back at him.

"What?" I said after a few awkward seconds.

"Nothing." He laughed to himself. I frowned. What was up with him? The study room was now empty because the last people, a group of three girls in the year below, had just left and it wasn't supervised by a teacher. It felt too quiet.

"So, the maths?" I asked doubtfully.

"Do you think I'm a good boyfriend?"

"Course not. You've had three girlfriends this past month alone. Relationships should last! You know I think that." I replied quickly to his random outburst.

"Really? You don't think that I'd be good? I'd be faithful if nothing else." He said, his muddy brown eyes looking truly hurt. I immediately felt bad.

"No, I guess you would be good..."

"You're just saying it now."

"No, you must be." I insisted, "You've had so much practice." I grinned.

He laughed at me, shaking his head but then he was serious again suddenly. "You know we've been friends for a long time now, right?"

"No, really?" I said sarcastically. "I'd never noticed."