Part Seven

The remaining majority of the shift passed eventfully in that repetitive sort of way belonging to any dangerous profession, leaving all four Hunters once more hardened to the realities of their chosen lives, yet still prepared to face the next day. It was that very next day that Jasper stepped into the precinct elevator already containing October on their way to begin their second shift.

"Morning!" Captain Haunting's daughter was chipper, how she always seemed to find herself in her new partner's presence.

"Morning." Jasper slid into place beside her as she held a tupperware with her carnivorous breakfast toward him.

"Giblets?" She offered.

"Sure." Extending his claws so as to snatch a piece without touching them all, Jasper plucked out a chicken heart and popped it in his mouth, piercing it with his fangs. His partner babbled beside him.

"Hey, I've been meaning to ask, do you have a preference for what I should call you? Most people have already started calling you Drolden, but-"

"Jasper's fine." He answered in that succinct, bass-drum hit that he always did in the morning as his vocal cords thawed, heating October's cheek's in turn.

"Cool."

"You?"

For some reason, she hadn't particularly expected him to ask the same, and supposed, "October's easier. I think people get a tad uncomfortable using 'Hauntings' knowing my father first."

"But what would you like them to call you?" When she gazed up, his red eyes were so attentive, sincere in his curiosity, that they caught October off-guard.

"I hadn't really thought about it." She stumbled, then decided. "You can call me October, though. First name basis, both ways." A silent nod answered her as she continued. "Think we'll be riding with Mac and Rudy again?"

This questioned managed to get almost three full sentences out of her partner. "Don't know. We were useful yesterday, at least. We'll just have to see if the Captain's still excited." The metal doors retreated at the third floor, revealing the beehive that was the bullpen. Captain Ross, stationed two yards away, noticed them immediately, and a smile burst on his face.

"There you are!"

October leaned toward Jasper with a whisper. "Looks like he's still excited."

The industrial chimney of a man strode over. "Mac and Wilder filled me in on yesterday. How'd you two like to go out on your own, starting today?"

Eyes bright and head high, October answered. "I'd be honored, sir."

"Same here." Jasper added, as the Captain clapped his hands together.

"Fantastic! You've got cruiser number four, it's parked 'round back. Check in with Sergeant Colby, and you'll be on your way."

"Thank you." October said to his retreating form, before he called over his shoulder.

"Do us proud!" The twang of the word us struck her with the knowledge that her father was included. At this thought she instinctually puffed out her chest, ready to materialize the sense of duty ingrained beneath her skin.

Sergeant Colby was her regular casual and collected self, informing the newbies that Mac and Wilder were taking a much-needed day off, while Tristan and Tams had already been sent out on a call they received earlier that morning. This meant that, for now, October and Jasper would be patrolling just across the border, on the edge of the eastern side. She tossed them the keys to the cruiser, and wished them luck.