Part Eighteen - Epilogue 1/3

Epilogue I: Two years later, 2298AD

Sitting on the edge of her bed, next to her just-packed suitcase, Officer October Hauntings fiddled with her simple, square-cut engagement ring. Allowing her inner monologue to become outer, she admitted. "I'm nervous."

Head poking out from behind their closet door, Jasper questioned, eyebrow raised. "For our vacation?"

"Yeah."

"Why?"

Tiny big-toe digging into the carpet she mumbled. "I don't remember the last time I went on vacation."

"And that's why we need one." After dragging his luggage out into the middle of the room, Jasper continued, with a grin. "C'mon babe. Just you, me, a spa, a suite with room service, and champagne." Kneeling before her, he held her foot, planting a light kiss on her ankle, then promised. "No Captains, no Diseased, and no hunting."

With a pout his fiance responded: "But we're good at hunting."

Standing he asked. "Is that what you're worried about?" He reached out his hands for her to take, suggesting. "We can be good at vacations, too."

She placed her palms in his, allowing him to lift her to her feet. "I guess so."

Guiding her closer, he toyed with a lock of her hair, smiling. "Think of it as honeymoon practice."

Eyes shining, October smirked. "I could get on board with that."

Raising his hand, Jasper twirled his partner, then wrapped his arms around her waist from behind, leaning down to whisper, lips just below her ear. "Mr. and Mrs. Hauntings-Drolden..." As he placed a soft kiss on her neck she giggled.

"It's sounding better and better." Then, with a sigh, she fell back against his broad chest. "But there's one more issue..."

Later that day, baggage halfway out the apartment door, October stuck her hands on her hips, staring down her father.

"You've got Noah, right?" She dead-eyed him a serious glare she perfected about six months after adopting the Turned boy. Captain Hauntings rolled his eyes.

"Of course I do."

"Then where is he?" Gesturing around to the suspiciously quiet house, she received a shrug in return.

"Outside somewhere." Seeing his daughter's reaction he scowled. "Don't give me that look! He can't have gotten far."

October threw her hands in the air in exasperation. "He's supersonic!"

"Fine. Fine." Grumbling as he groaned to his feet, the Captain lumbered to the side entrance that led to the park just next door. He bellowed into the humid summer air. "Noah?!"

A high voice, brimming with excitement, called back. "Gramps! Come watch how fast I can run!"

"Watch you?" October started to smile as her father grinned, heading outside. "Hell, kid. I'll time you!"

Updates Mon./Fri. After 4:00PM

Next Update: Friday July, 2020