F i f t y O n e

'The most profound statements are often said in silence'
- Lynn Johnston

|Emaan|

She's lying to me.

I know she is.

She's never once told me a fib let alone keep something a major secret from me.

When I turned up at Madison's yesterday Lei told me it was all a misunderstanding and every couple argues. They'll get through it.

So why do the bruises on her arms tell me otherwise?

Why do the tears in her eyes tell me otherwise?

Why does the empty feeling her soul is experiencing tell me otherwise?

I had no idea why she was lying to me.

Did she no longer trust me?

Was Madison winding her up against me?

Or was she blackmailing her?

The constant glares from the brunette to my bestie are telling me its not 'just a misunderstanding' like Lei was trying to make me believe.

I watched Leila keep her head down making minimal eye contact and barely any conversation in the first part of the shift.

Initially I let her have some space but now I'm getting more and more worried with every minute that passes.

This is not normal.

Lei is not being normal.

The girl that usually has to be in so close contact with me has not so much as looked in my direction for heavens sake!

I cannot take the gloominess luminating her figure any longer and decide I need to sort whatever is going on.

I tell Mick to keep an eye on things whilst I drag my best mate with me to the office at the back of the venue.

We need to talk.

"Right"

I begin as I shut the semi glass door behind me.

"Talk"

"What do you want me to say?"

For the first time today she makes proper eye contact. Her orbs are tired, verging on bloodshot red. I don't know if its due to a lack of sleep or from crying but my heart's pulling towards the latter.

"What's wrong?"

I move closer to her placing my backside on the chair opposite.

"Nothing"

"Babe"

I go to cup her cheek but instead of allowing my touch like she normally my does, she swats my hand away.

I have to admit that did hurt but what hurt more was she was going through some sort of a problem alone.

"Lei, what happened?"

"Nothing" she mutters avoiding my gaze.

"Well something has, tell me please"

"No"

"Fine I'll ask Madison"

I get up to leave when I'm pulled back by my wrist.

"Don't. I beg you"

Her eyes are brimming with tears as her bottom lip trembles.

Her gaze lowers as though I haven't figured something is terribly wrong and 110% related to her girlfriend.