spanking

i'm aware that this title is fucking weird. please get your mind out of the gutter. this has absolutely nothing to do with bdsm (unfortunately).

okay here we go. first entry. or whatever this is called.

so, i'm indian, right. i was born and raised in the United States but my parents were born in india. obviously, y'all know what this means. i got spanked. it wasn't often and it wasn't really brutal or anything like that. for the most part, i'd like to say i have a decent relationship with my parents. and to be fair, i was a fucking demon-seed of a child. i honestly don't blame them. i mean what would you do if your child refused to pee in the toilet and urinated everywhere but?

now, this is hella controversial. and i'm nowhere close to being a parent yet. so perhaps, my opinion will change in time. i really hope it doesn't, though.

i personally believe that a child should not be spanked. period. no ifs, ands, or butts. and the second t in butt was intentional :)

spanking hasn't shown any longterm benefits. in fact, it increases the chances of children becoming violent in their future relationships. this actually makes perfect sense. think about it. when you're 8 or 9 years old, or however young, you worship your parents. under normal circumstances, they are your fucking WORLD and you aspire to be like them. if their solution to you misbehaving is to hit you, what stops you from assuming that this is the correct response to get someone to obey you? you'll start confusing violence with love at an incredibly young age, and this can continue throughout your entire life. even being put in a fight or flight situation can cause you to resort to violence.

when i was around 8, and i'm kinda embarrassed to say this continued until i was at least 12, any time younger brother was a bitch to me, i would just slap or threaten to slap him. and i know this is the norm for siblings, but the guy is 6 years younger than me and actually a gigantic blessing in disguise compared to other younger siblings i know. now, i wonder where i got this violent tendency from. after all, i don't think that i was a particularly violent child in nature and it's not like i watched super violent shows at 8 years old. just a few days ago, i started thinking (because quarantine does that) that the root of this problem was my parents using their hands to "discipline" me.

just to be clear, when i'm talking about spanking, i personally mean like slaps. i was lucky enough to not have been abused as a child in any way. if your parent is biting you or leaving marks, like bruises or blood, behind with their hands or belt or anything like that and it happens repeatedly often for no reason at all, you need to call for help. that is not corporal punishment. that is abuse and that is not okay at all. don't even get me started on verbal abuse. that's a topic for another day. anyway, my parents didn't spank me unless they deemed it was absolutely necessary. actually, spank is the wrong word, to be honest. getting stinging slaps is like the most moderate version of spanking to exist.

all i'm saying, is that parents need to be patient with their children. i'm aware we can be a handful and we're not easy to handle at all, but depending on our ages, there's different ways to discipline us without the use of violence at all. like, for a toddler, reward good behavior and don't give them attention anytime they do something wrong. all they want is love. all kids wants is your approval and your love, period. we're not your property, and you should not be spanking us just because you're angry.

if you made it this far, thank you. i think that's all for now. and please remember, this is my personal opinion. if you disagree with me, that's perfectly okay but no hate. please and thank you. until next time :)