Prologue

The soft, flickering lights of the candles shimmer in their reflection on the water. All is dark and quiet, except for the gentle lappings of the water from the lake. It all feels like I'm in a daze. A pleasant fragrance fills the air, lulling me into a delirious stupor and my eyelashes flutter constantly as I try to keep my focus.

He walks towards me smoothly with such grace in his footsteps. Clad in his smooth black suit and his mysterious porcelain white mask, he looks absolutely debonair with how he carries himself. I find myself staring at him in some sort of dreamlike rapture, my mind a complete blank at this point. He advances closer towards me and catches my hand. A lone finger gently caresses my cheeks and I find my heartbeat racing as I feel his warmth behind my back.

"You didn't make a deal with an angel," his breath is erratic and uneven, his lips so alarmingly close to my ear they are barely touching my skin. My breath is hitched, and I feel the hairs on my skin rise in anticipation. A deeply sensuous tingle deliciously goes up my spine and I arch back from this bizarre sensation. I gasp in surprise, and suddenly his long, cold fingers cup my face and his scorching amber eyes pierce right through mine. He pauses to stare at me, and all is deafeningly quiet. Then very, very softly, he comes close to my face and whispers to my ear, "You made a deal with the devil."