Part 5

After a lot of reassurance, Wynter finally left me alone sitting outside the wolf den to wait for Willa. The new information she just gave me about Wyatt swirls my brain as I try to decipher my own feelings for him. That day the werewolves joined cheer practice, had I wanted Wyatt to kiss me? I saw the look in his eyes, and I wouldn't have stopped it had I not seen Zed in my peripheral vision, so maybe I did.

"Hey," Wyatt nudges me with his elbow, startling me as he sits down next to me.

"Hey," I squeak out.

"Still waiting for Willa?" He asks.

I merely nod in response, trying to ignore my previous thoughts about the conversation Wynter and I had.

He sighs, "she shouldn't be gone this long."
"Maybe you should go look for her," I offer, shrugging my shoulder.
He shakes his head.
After a long moment of silence, he asks so innocently, "why won't you let me take the pain away?"
I take a breath like I'm going to say something, but stop and think it over.
"Because," I finally say, "it's just temporary, and it just hurts you instead."
He sighs, not satisfied with my response, "so? At least it helps."
I shake my head, "that's not the point. I'm tired of being someone's burden. I was a burden with my parents because of my hair. Then I was Bucky's burden with cheer and my hair. And then I became Zed's burden until he couldn't accept the fact that I might have been a werewolf. Now, if I let you help, I'll be your burden." I didn't realize I was crying until Wyatt frantically wiped my tears away before pulling me into his chest.
"You could never be a burden to me, Addison. Never." I feel him shake his head against the side of my neck.
I take in shaky breaths as I try to calm myself down, letting myself sink into his touch.