o n e

"Where is she? How long is she from here now?" Mom asked as she put down the last dish she prepared for us.

"I'll call her to check, you seem more excited to see your daughter-in-law than your son." I pout at her, acting jealous but in reality, I'm happy that she likes my woman.

"Don't you think you've cooked too much food for four-person, honey?" Dad said as he examined the table. There are at least 6 dishes that mom prepared, it's like a feast is happening. It's not even the first time that my fiancée is meeting them and it's like she's the child instead of me already.

"Her phone is ringing but she's not picking up, maybe she's a few minutes away."

We were laughing as we reminisce the pasts when the glass I was holding, suddenly slip my hand and break. My chest felt a rush and tight as if my lungs forgot a moment to function.

Suddenly, I was nervous as hell when my phone began to ring. I take a deep breath to calm myself before answering the phone.

"Hello, Williams speaking," I said as I pick up the phone. My parents are looking at me curiously.

"This is Officer Caleb from District One. There has been a car incident and your wife is involved-" My world collapsed as soon as I heard the word "incident", my chest tightens as my hands get clammy, I can't seem to understand what he was saying as my knees gave out.

"Hello? Mr. Williams?"

"Mr. Williams!"

"Ah yes?" I snapped back to reality and smile awkwardly to my co-workers who's been calling me. We're currently having a meeting with all the teachers because of the upcoming summer, we were talking about what event we're going to hold this year but I zoned out in the middle.

"Mr. Grey has been asking you. Where in the world are you right now while we're in a meeting?" Ms. Hilda was looking at me annoyingly as if I stole her spot. She's been strict to me ever since and I think it's because her students like me more than her as the English Literature teacher. Poor her, she doesn't even know Virginia Woolf or Jane Austen and she even acts like she's the boss.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to space out. And I won't be here in Summer, this time or next time."

It's been 2 years but I still remember it like it was yesterday, my heart still aches every single time I remember her. My life's been in a mess since then. I fell into depression and needed to see a doctor until now, it's so hard to accept the fact that she's gone and will never come back anymore. I shut myself up away from people even to my parents, they've been worried as hell and I didn't want them to worry anymore.

Moving to my cousin's is the solution. New place, new environment, new life but I will never replace her in my heart. I know she doesn't want me to stay in the past, I know she wants me to live and do the things I want. But is this the right thing to do?

I'm a mile away from my cousin's house when my phone ring and saw my cousin's name-calling. I used my right hand and answers the phone as I drive with my left hand, focusing on the road.

"Hey man! Where you at now?" Henry is my first cousin and we were close even though I'm older than him. He's always there for me even though we're apart or busy, he keeps checking up on me especially after what happened and he even suggested for me to move to Riverside.

"Hey bro, I'm almost there."

"You know it's awkward that my cousin is my English Teacher. You must tell me the activity first so I'll be ahead in class." Henry joked as he drinks his Iced Coffee while we're walking around the campus. He's showing me around the campus because tomorrow is the first day of class and I got my schedule right now, I've also met the other teachers and introduced myself.

"Sure, I'll make sure to give you the hardest activity to do alone."

"Okay, I take it back." I laugh at him. I feel nostalgia and relaxed, it's been so long since I laughed. Maybe moving is right...

"There's a lot of things you don't know here in Riverside so you need to be careful but nothing's wrong is going to happen to you, after all, I'm your protector here." He said acting mighty as he struggles his shoulder with a big smile in his lips. I shook my head as I smile and go along with his fantasy.

"Yes, please protect me in this mystic town."

Riverside is a mysterious and beautiful town, and just like any other town, there's a lot of rumors or myth about Riverside being a town of different creatures such as werewolves, vampires, witches, and hunters. But who still believe in such things? It's 20th Century already, no such things existed of course. Even though I'm a fan of books, I don't believe in such things. It's just fiction.

We arrived in the library where I'll be assigned as assistance every Friday since I don't have a class that day. I requested it because I love books and the library, it's my way of escape from reality and as an English Literature Teacher, I need to read books.

The library was huge and amazing. Henry leads us to the Librarian which is called Mrs. Andres, a small old lady wearing glasses and a long grey dress. She looks nice though... personality I mean.

"Mrs. Andres, this is the new English Teacher and your new assistant, Zion Williams."

"Nice to meet you, Mrs. Andres" I hand out my hand for a shake hand but she looks at it then back to me, examining my face then looking back at the book she's reading. I thought she was nice, guess I'm wrong. Don't judge a book by its cover.

"Likewise, Mr. Williams."

"Good morning everyone, I'm Zion Williams but call me Mr. Williams as I'm your new English Teacher. Do you have any questions?" I lean to the teacher's table as I examine every new face in the class. One typical flirty teenage girl raised a hand and I nod at her to speak.

"Do you have a girlfriend?" She asks as she battles her eyelashes and licking a lollipop. What is she? A kid? Seriously?

"Questions related to our subject only and please put away your candy Miss, you're in college already." I look down at my books and turns it. I heard them stifle a laugh as I embarrassed the girl. I hate attention seeker students and troublemakers. I can say I'm a strict teacher but also not, it depends on the student.

"If there are no questions then let's start the class."

I began calling their names and checking attendance,  as expected there is always one student who doesn't show up on the first day. Of course, there will always be lazy students anywhere, I was like that back then.

"Anyone knows where is Ms. Davids?" As soon as I said that, the air thickens and they look confused as they murmur to each other. This person might be a troublesome student.

"She's no longer attending school, Sir. The record might be wrong." says the Candy girl again. Why the hell would the admin give me the wrong records?

"No, Sir. She will be here tomorrow, she's just resting right now." A girl with thick glasses and short hair said. She looks like the president of the class, typical genius leader kind of girl. I think I'll trust what she said instead of that candy girl.

"Remind her to be on time tomorrow."

"That is so unfair. She hasn't gone to school for 2 years and she'll be in the same class as us." I heard the girls whispered but I ignored them for now.