Chapter 7

"It's impossible!" Freed claimed.

Lucy could only shift her legs over the side of her bed and smile. Her legs rocked back and forth. It felt so good that she could finally get out of the bed. She had a wide smile planted on her white skin.

"It's Magic," the master smiled, "A Miracle." Water formed at the edge of his eyelid and he wiped it away with his sleeve. All of them, even himself, thought the Key Caster was done for.

For seven weeks, the girl was bedridden. Seven weeks that those around her lost all hopes. Inside of the guild, no one cheered and filled the house in laughter.

She may be one of their newest mages, but she was certainly already a part of their family like the others.

And this happened over night. She was healed back with her health perfect. Even the Dragon Slayer couldn't believe her eyes when she walked in on Lucy.

"How do you feel?" Gray questioned. He gave her a friendly smile, not one of his usual smirks.

"Great!" she cheered with her eyes closed. Her hair brushed against her face.

Everyone was happy.

"Doesn't this call for a party?"

"Lucy shouldn't move so quickly though," Wendy informed.

Lucy turned the small girl and smiled. "Wendy, I'm feeling great right now!" This gave Wendy second thoughts and she could only smile back.

A party was in order after all of the gloom that roamed the guild for the last seven weeks. Everyone cheered in delight and raised their glasses up.

The two sisters went through the benches and filled each of their cups up. Their sweet smile moved as they chatted with the guild members.

Lucy sat at their regular table with her three close friends, Gray, Erza, and Levy. One seat was empty, the one that Natsu wrote his name in, which was also the one on her left side.

The seat was soon filled once Loke appeared, using his own magic, and smiled at his master. "It's about time you're cured," he smirked. He lifted his glasses and looked around the table, "I'm surprise Natsu isn't here."

"Yeah..." Lucy's withered tone whispered as she looked down at her lap.

"He doesn't know," Erza stated.

"Natsu probably having a breakdown or something," Gray shrugged.

"We should tell him. He needs to be here," the scarlet haired firmly remarked.

"You don't have to do that. He will be here soon enough," Lucy tried to change the subject. She stared at her lap in dismay. 'Why wasn't he here? Is he still angry at himself?'

Last time she saw him was their last attempt with the spell. He muttered curses at himself and ran out on the intent of harming himself. After that, she has not seen him. Not through her teary eyes. Would he still be mad over their fight?

That thought kept bugging her while she was bedridden. Every time he was in the room, others would call her out for a task. She was never able to tell him.

And every night, he would watch her sleep before falling asleep himself. Unlike last night, when Gray took his place instead when the Dragon Slayer was nowhere to be seen.

Loke patted her shoulder, "Don't worry about him for now. It's a party, for you!"

"Yeah..." She was still thinking that something wrong happened.

Gray's eyes darted across the table at the blonde girl, and cursed at himself. Even while others were having fun for her recovery. "I will go look for him for you."

He was already standing up when she denied his request, "You don't have too!"

"I want to."

...

His back leaned against the bark of the tree as he gazed out into the sunset. He was sitting on top of a cliff; his favorite spot to sit and watch the colorful sky. He looked down to his hand and faintly smiled.

At least he could live long enough to see himself as an old man. Even if that meant skipping his adult years.

"I wonder if anyone would even recognize me..." he wondered out loud. His smile disappeared. To them, he was just an old man that no one seen before. His gravestone, if anyone ever found him, would be blank of any names.

He looked out into the sunset. He knew what was coming.

The ring dropped for a reason.

He had no more time left to spare to the blonde.

His arm raised to the lowest branch and puckered the last leaf.

He thought of all of his friends.

Gildarts and Igneel, who taught him everything about life. These two were the people he looked up to.

Master brought him into this magic world of mystery.

Erza who kept him in place; even when he didn't want it. Without her, he would have been hunted down ages ago.

Gray who kept him down to earth when his ego enlarges. Even if he hated to say it, the moron was there watching his back, and vice versa.

Wendy and Romeo, the two of them were like his little siblings that he never had. Two that he never wanted to disappoint.

Lisanna, the girl who accepted him first into the guild and didn't look at him differently like the others.

Gajeel, much as he was displeased to admit it, was actually a good fighter when the needs arose. Iron Jaw was always there to protect those that he couldn't at the time.

And Lucy. What kept him going and together. Her sweet smile that made everything seemed well; and if it was replaced with a frown and tears, he would destroy the cause. Her brown sparkling eyes that Natsu loved from the first time they met. Lucy who kept him from losing his mind.

She was the reason he was able to defeat many opponents.

"Ice Blo-Gray...take care of her for me..." he tighten his grip on the leaf. He thought of the blonde goddess.

He closed his eyes and slept.

Three seconds.

He took a deep breath. His last.

Two seconds.

Lucy's face appeared under his eyelids. He gave a small peaceful smile.

One second.

His heart stopped.