Pilot: Moving-up week

LUCAS

Lucas walked through the sea of students looking for his younger friends with Angelica, holding Clary's sister Clementine, and Julian. They had just sat through the lower batch's moving-up ceremony, the junior high school claiming their newest and youngest students. The former grade school students filed out of the large grade school gymnasium onto a long patch of grass with a brick pathway straight through the middle, leading to the statue of one of the founders of Glimmerdale College. Here photographers took pictures of students with their families for their graduation photos.

Julian tapped Lucas' shoulder. He looked over to face his friend.

"Lucas? I can't see them," Julian declared. There's too many people."

Lucas scratched his head. "Me neither. We need someone tall."

In the mixed sea of parents and some other, taller students, their height of 4' 11" still wasn't enough for them to find Clary by themselves.

"Hold on," said Angelica with an idea in her head. "Hey, Clem." She lowered herself a little to face Clementine. "Why don't you go on Lucas' shoulders? So you can find your sister?"

Clem giggled. "Okay. But can i piggyback all the way to her?"

Angelica turned to Lucas, who rolled his eyes and smirked.

"Alright, come on." He bent down for Clementine to be hoisted by the others on his shoulders, slowly rising the little girl over the many people.

Lucas got up panting. "Dang, Clem, you're really... heavy."

Behind him, Lucas noticed Julian chuckling to himself softly and rolling his eyes. He mumbled to Angelica, who grinned at him and glanced at Clementine. He raised an eyebrow and Lucas heard him whisper, "No way."

Lucas cleared his throat, which got the two's attention. "Hey, uh, whatcha talking about?"

"Nothing," blurted Julian. Lucas squinted slightly at him, wondering what they were thinking.

Angelica focused their attention on something else. "Clem, find them yet?"

"Uhhhhh... I don't see Clary... but there's Mom."

She pointed to Lucas' right.

"Alright," Lucas said, beginning to walk towards Clary's direction, "let's go that way."

Lucas lumbered over to Clary's family with Clementine on his shoulders.

Clary was talking with some teachers until she saw her friends. She excused herself, and faced them, smiling. "Hey guys!" she exclaimed.

Lucas and Clary hugged. "Wow, you..." Lucas started, releasing from their embrace. "Your speech was incredible! I mean, it always was.. but hey! And, well, you look-"

Clary glanced at the ground. "Yeah, I still can't believe they made me use makeup." Clary laughed half-heartedly.

Clary Walters, awarded the "Grade School's Finest," (basically the equivalent of a valedictorian but for middle school) is indeed an over-achiever. She is a focused and hardworking student, and lives in the house beside Lucas. With a height of 4' 9", shorter than the three by 2 inches, she made a very promising student in Glimmerdale Grade School. Her black eyes were slightly magnified through her glasses, and her dark hair hung below her shoulders, already out of the wrapped braid it was in earlier. She wore a bit of make-up that really made her face glow, especially when she had given the "Glimmerdale's Finest" speech. The moving-up gown she was wearing was loose around her body, but not too loose, enough that the gown covered her body from neck to toe.