Chapter 2: Summer for the squad

ANGELICA

The start of summer 2017 had Angelica pace across Clary's bedroom, thinking about her date with Joshua. Thoughts raced around her head, like "Why'd I say yes?!", "Do I look nice?", and a recurring thought, "Wow, I'm going on a date with a cute soccer player!"

Since she agreed to go on a date with Joshua, she had been super distracted. Ever since the school let all the sports teams train in the Glimmerdale Sports Expanse, which was made of a couple of covered courts and three well-groomed grassy fields, she had been seeing him play out in the hot sun while she and her teammates practiced under the roof of the covered courts. It had been like that for the past week, except for her non-training days on Tuesday and Thursday. Though free from training, she spent those days working out and/or thinking about Joshua. In summary, Angelica's mind was usually elsewhere in all the places she goes to, even at home.

Then, it was Saturday.

Clary sat up from lying on her bed. "Angelica, you'll be absolutely fine," she says reassuringly. "Nothing big should happen so soon, unless..."

Lucas teased Angelica as well, laughing though halfheartedly. "Unless..." He was playing a game on his phone and was completely immersed in it. Angelica turned a shade of red and glared at him.

Clary continued. "...but otherwise you shouldn't be overreacting."

Angelica rolls her eyes. "Oh yeah? So how are you gonna be on your date?"

Clary, nervous, cleared her throat. "Um, well, it's gonna be fine. We'll just talk and stuff."

Angelica chuckled. "Like what?"

"Like, like..." she shrugs. "Well, I guess we'll have to talk about... what we have to talk about."

Angelica sits down, sighing. She clasped her hands together and rested her head on it, elbows on her legs, deep in thought.

"How do I impress this boy?" Angelica asks herself.

Lucas, sitting in a chair at the corner of the room in his Ultimate Frisbee attire, spoke up during his game. "Well, as a boy, like Joshua is, all I can say is that you don't have to do much to impress him."

"Really?"

He shrugs. "You are a cute volleyball player. Anyone would be impressed already." Lucas looks up from his game. "And, maybe, Joshua will be head-over-heels for you."

She blushed at his subtle compliments. Lucas really knew how to make her feel better.

"I have to agree, Ange," added Clary. "Besides, you are fun to be with. You probably won't lose things to talk about, unlike me."

Angelica sat beside Clary and wrapped her arm around the younger girl.

"Even if I said those stuff a while ago, I'm sure you'll be fine. I mean, you two have  known each other for a while." Angelica said. "We all have."

"Well, yeah." Clary shrugs.

Lucas chimes in. "So you should be able to talk well with Chris. Heck, I've seen you two bicker about school projects."

She gets up from her sitting position and starts pacing.

"Yeah, but it's Chris, who I've never been out with like this. I mean, look at me."

Clary was wearing a black crop top, a little large so that it covered most of her torso, save for the very slightly revealed stomach. Along with that were fabric, royal blue shorts with a white lace that she tied into a neat bow. The lace tightened around her waist ever so slightly, and the shorts went halfway down her thighs, showing a gracious pair of legs. At the end were black rubber shoes with white soles.