Fondness

The Spine's POV:

Rose sits on the edge of the fence post, alone with her back to me. Either she doesn't notice me or chooses to ignore my presence. Leaning down on the fence a few inches away, I ask politely. "Mind if I stand here?"

For a second, a glimmer of blue flashes in my direction. She must have briefly glanced at me but makes no comment. I sigh while my rubbing the back of my neck, she can speak when she's ready.

Focusing my photo-receptors on the now setting sun, the blue of the sky dims into lavender and pink. However, each attempt fails as they continue to trail back to her. The delicate glow of the sun gives her metal plates a warm radiance, bringing out the cerulean in her eyes.

"It's rude to stare." She spoke adamantly, finally severing the tension. Immediately snapping my eyes back to the sunset, grumbling. "I thought you were going back to the Manor."

Rose retorts. "I changed my mind, the sunset is beautiful."

"I suppose it is." Reservedly affirming.

As the sun continues its descent, Rose pushes herself up to stand. Her arms span out on both sides to balance herself while she stands at the very edge.

Shouting, reaching out and taking her right hand. "What are you doing!?"

She snaps her head down at me and replies quizically. "Getting a better view?"

Sensing the confusion in her voice, I let go of her hand and insist softly. "Y-you should be more cautious, you could fall."

"I thought you didn't care." She mutters, her eyes lower to me.

The sincerity in her voice slices me like a cleaver, had she taken my comment to heart? Swallowing my pride, I admit. "I was wrong, now please, step down from there."

Offering my hand, Rose hesitates before taking it. Helping her to the ground, I notice how quiet she is. She stares at me, longingly but there is something else amid her gaze. Fondness, perhaps?