Sunset Shenanigans

Rose's POV:

Thursday, a total of three days have come and gone in 1933. Though the equation had been solved thanks to The Spine's mishap, it still doesn't explain how I will return home. I find myself doubting the chances of escape when a seemingly harmless minute transpires into an hour and so on.

Morning and afternoon were spent in the Library alone, glazing over the novels for any minor detail I missed. Nothing, exhaling as I slouch into the chair. Listening to the ensemble of instruments and voices singing harmoniously from the other room.

Quietly exiting the library, I tip-toe down the hallway and peek around the corner. In what would later become the lounge, the three bots wield their instruments and play 'Honeybee'.

It dawns on me how much I miss them, especially him. My gaze falls on The Spine, a dull ache stings inside my heart-core. How can someone be so close to you yet so far away? To be with him is too much of a risk, one that I will not take. It's dysphoric, being in a familiar place but surrounded by strangers. I am alone in my own home.

After a few moments of observing their rehearsal, I wordlessly return to the confines of the library. Closing the cherry wood door behind me, leaning back and sliding down to the floor. Groaning while running my fingers through my bangs. "What am I going to do?"

Two knocks answer to my unexpected reply, springing up and spinning to face the door.

"R-Rose?" The Spine's voice carries from the other side.

Opening the door I smile awkwardly. "Oh, The Spine, what brings you here?"

The Spine rubbed the back of his neck as he spoke. "I and the others are going to go watch the sunset on the Pier. I was wondering if you would like to join us?"

A softness lingers in the depth of his tone, one that hadn't seem to exist before. Feeling my suspension relax, I rest my cheek plate on the door and reply. "I don't know, I'm pretty busy back here."

He raises his eyes to peer above me, his eyes sweep the library from left to right. He gives me a skeptical smirk. "Doesn't look like you're busy."

Curse my shortness... I sigh warmly while stepping out into the hallway. "Alright."

I and The Spine walk to the front doors, taking note that he seems rather fidgety in his long strides. Upon opening the door for me, he shatters the silence.

"Rose?" He asks delicately as if he's savoring the sound of my name.

Lifting my head, I answer. "Mm?"

"You look lovely." He stutters out while the steam escapes from his jawline and neck. Almost immediately he catches himself."Y-your new dress, I mean."

My words hitch in my throat, taken aback by his compliment and the guilty soreness in my heart-core. Tucking a nervous bang behind my ear, I smile. "Thanks, The Spine."

He opens his mouth to speak but the enthusiastic howls of Rabbit cut him off.

"C'mon ya two or we'll miss the steamboat rides!" She shouts hopping up and down by the courtyard gate, thankfully her minute charade stole The Spine's attention away.

A fleeting gust of relief escapes from my lips before embarking on the sunset shenanigans with them.