San Francisco

I glanced around the busy airport. When I had touched down in San Francisco I had received a message from Niall saying he was waiting for me. But I couldn't find him.

We haven't seen each other since the Jingle Ball a few weeks ago. Meaning, we also have not talked about what had happened between us or what it would mean for us or our friendship. We had talked a few times over the phone, just small talk (no pun intended), but whenever Niall had tried to change the topic towards that night I had cut him off. That's nothing you should discuss on the phone.

At least that's what I told myself. Honestly it was more because I was freaking scared of this conversation.

But now I had no more excuses and I knew that I would eventually have to talk to him about this. But maybe not today. Maybe tomorrow.

"Hails!" someone yelled behind me and I turned around. Niall was leaning against a wall, wearing a white cap, a striped shirt and sunglasses. Next to him was a small suitcase.

"Hey", I smiled, trying to hide my nervousness, and walked over to him. He pulled me into a close hug and I buried my face in his shoulder. Being almost as tall as he was had its perks. When I pulled back to ask him whether he was ready to leave I felt his lips briefly brushing my cheek.

"How was your flight?" Niall asked casually and grabbed my suitcase, walking towards the exit. Acting as if nothing had happened. I wouldn't survive this weekend.

-

"This room is amazing!" I said excitedly and walked towards the window overlooking the city.

"Happy you like it", Niall said quietly behind me. I turned back around and smiled at him.

"Which room do you want?", I asked him looking at the two doors leading out of the living room.

"There's only one bedroom."

"What?" I avoided his gaze.

"I asked you, remember? When we planned this whole trip? You said one bedroom would be fine, we could have Netflix parties and stuff." I immediately saw the little twist at the corner of his mouth and knew what he was thinking about. Netflix parties. Sure.

"That's not what I meant you dirty mind!"

"I know." Slowly he came closer. "Hailee, should we -"

"Go? Yeah, you're right! I have lots of plans for us today and we really should get going. Grab your stuff, c'mon."

"But -"

"Now, Niall!" Sighing, he nodded and grabbed for his purse. "Alright, let's go" he said and followed me out of the room.

-

"I really like San Francisco" Niall said as we got out of our jackets.

I smiled at him and slipped out of my sneakers. We had just come back from our first day in the city and while we had had a lot of fun and I had enjoyed showing him the city, I had particularly avoided staying too long at one place. Didn't want to give him the chance to start a more serious conversation than our mock discussion about whether Nando or KFC tastes better.

"Glad to hear that."

"But that's all for today, right? My feet are literally about to die."

I laughed. "No, we're done for today."

"Good" he murmured and briefly looked at me. "Come here, please."

I froze. I knew what he was about to say. I couldn't do this right now. I needed to stay in my safe 'we'll be friends forever' bubble, just a little bit longer. I was terrified of this bubble to burst.