Chapter 3: On With The Show

I did odd jobs during the show. It was always different. Usually, I tamed the Wolf-Man, but we had a few extra hands that fateful show, so, for the most part, I stayed just off the side of the stage in case anyone needed me. I helped Evra tame his snake after the show, because she didn't feel well and was cranky. I made sure that Madame Octa was milked of her poison and safely back in her cage. I was not going to make that mistake twice.

That night, I did get to try out my new idea for an act. I performed a few small quote unquote "magic" tricks that Larten taught me when I was younger. The one that really seemed to entrance Steve and Darren was the one where I asked a man in the back of the auditorium to hold a $100 bill that I had pulled from my pocket and told him that if he could keep it in his hands for ten seconds, he could keep it. I went back to the stage at human speed, so I didn't give away my trick. When I reached the stage, I turned and told the man to start counting. I stayed on the stage, smiling, until he reached nine. Then as he was saying ten, I plucked the money from his fingers. Everyone was amazed.

My next trick was the biggest one, my finale of sorts. I needed an assistant. I asked for one, and every man in the room raised their hands. Probably because of their pride. But I chose Darren. I had to know more about him. He was fascinating. When he got up on stage, I gave him one look up and down and asked, "Darren, ask me questions about yourself. Personal things."

"Okay. How old am I?"

"Sixteen years, 7months, 4 weeks, 3 days, 13 hours, and 32 minutes old. That was easy, ask something harder." I snapped. He, along with everyone else in the audience, was astonished. One guy jumped up and called a hoax on me. I just smiled and asked him to please come up on stage. He obliged. I asked Darren to tell him when he was born to the minute and he obeyed. The man still didn't believe me, so I decided to read him to make him believe.

"Watch this ladies and gentlemen. This man's name is Darius Miranda Brandon. He is thirty four years, 5 months, 3 weeks, 2 days, 22 hours and 49 minutes old. He has a 27 year old wife named Danielle, whom he met at a Christmas party 10 years ago. They've been happily married for 8 years, their anniversary is on June 26th at 6:30 pm on the dot. But he is out of the house a lot more than he should be. His wife thinks he's out with the guys or working late at the office, but he really likes spending his time at a bar getting it on with younger, fresher flowers. He has two daughters, seven year old Elisa and five year old Jaida, who adore him and a three year old son, Max, who wants to be at his side constantly. He works at the office building upstate and gets a good steady pay, but his wife and kids don't know that, because he spends all his money on beer and other women. He acts like he's miserable at his job, but he secretly loves it there, better than being at home with his family, because they drive him crazy. Especially Max, who wants to know his father in the little time he has. Little does Darius know, his beloved son has mucopolysaccharides, or more commonly known as Morquio Syndrome, and will, most likely, not live past eight years old. Yet he is heartbroken because the one person who should care the most wants nothing to do with him. Need I go on, Darius?"

Suddenly a woman in the chair next to where he was sitting stood up, face red with anger and eyes red with tears, and stormed out of the theater. Darius just called after her saying I was lying, then when she was beyond all hope of hearing him, he turned to me, absolutely livid. Lucky me, Larten was standing just offstage in case anything happened like this. Darius took a handful of my shirt and balled up his fist as if he were about to take a swing at me. I braced myself for the impact, but it didn't come. Instead, I opened my eyes and Larten was there, holding back Darius' fist, breaking his knuckles. "I would not do that if I were you. She only speaks the truth. Go home and explain tonight to your wife honestly." Darius nodded and Larten let him go. Then Darius proceeded to put me down and run for the door. I nodded my thanks to Larten, he was always there when I needed him. Even then, when I thought I was going to get the beating of a lifetime, I somehow had a feeling that he would be there.