chapter 4

trauma nine

doctor's voss and Austin sedated nic, when they knew she was unconscious kit managed to relocate nic's right shoulder into place, once she had finished she let aj do the chest tube, he prepped the left side of the chest where all the bruising around the ribs was, first he made a small cut and then fiddled around making space with his rather large man fingers, then when he knew he had the right angle he placed the tube into her chest, he secured into place and everyone breathed a sigh of relief when the chest tube was placed.

everyone stood waiting to see the nurse wake up, but instead she didn't, as they stood waiting for a long stand all the doctors in the room where brought out of there daydream when the machines attached to the nurse started making a noise.

Aj looks to the monitors, he reads the blood pressure rate and heart rate.

AJ: okay change of plan she needs surgery know.

Mina: what happened?

AJ: get the ultrasound machine know.

Conrad wheels the machine over to the bed, he hands the wand to aj, he takes the gel bottle and he squeezes some out onto the wand, Aj puts the wand to nic's left side when the wand makes contact with the skin, it makes a picture and the picture pops up onto the screen aj looks to the monitor and then he realizes that nic's chest injury is worse than they all realized, her broken ribs nicked an artery in her chest and know she was bleeding into her chest.

Conrad: what's happened?

Aj: the broken ribs punctured her lung but it also nicked a major artery in her chest and it bleeding I need to get in there and stop it.

Conrad: is there any way that you could do it but make sure she is back to work in less than six weeks.

AJ: the option is open her chest on her side and stop the bleeding.

Mina: there is another option we could do it laparoscopically, less invasive.

Aj: if you want to do that then I am happy to do it that way but I must say if it doesn't work then I will have to change to open procedure.

Conrad: fine as long as you give the laparoscopic approach ago.

Aj: fine lets go we haven't got time people and make sure we have blood on standby.

soon mina and Aj rush Nic off to surgery.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

surgery floor

or2

mina and Aj rush into the scrub room and get scrubbed up, whilst the transport guys bring the nurse into the theatre, they administer the drugs and then they intubate her and then they move her body into the position for surgery, Nic is lay on her side, Aj and mina walk in and soon the surgery is started, the two doctors make the incisions and then they put the sterile gadgets into the incisions and then they insert the probes into her chest, soon they find the bleed and they stop the bleed, once they fixed the artery nic's blood pressure came up and she stabilized, once they knew there friend was out of the woods they took all the instruments out and closed her up.

Nic was moved to the trolley and then she was moved to the recovery room whilst the anaesthesia worn off then they would move her to the icu for close observation before she could be moved to a room on the fifth floor.

Conrad walks to the recovery rooms, he watches as Aj and mina settle Nic in the room as she wakes up from her operation.

Aj and mina see Conrad and they walk to the fiancé.

Conrad: how was surgery?

AJ: surgery was a success and her artery has been repaired and I managed to do it laparoscopically, so she will have three small incisions, and the chest tube incision, in a few hours she should be fully awake.

Conrad: great I might go and sit with her for a few minutes and then get back to work.

Mina: she will be moved to icu once she started waking up.

Conrad: let me know what room number.

Mina: I will know go hold her hand she needs it.

Conrad does as mina says, he goes into the recovery room, he walks to the side of the bed and he takes a seat on the edge of the bed, he takes nic's hand in his and he holds it for dear life, mina and Aj walk off leaving the resident and the patient to rest, the two doctors walk into or 1 to check on the other patient from the ambulance crash.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

or1

the patient was wheeled into or1 where doctor cain started to relieve the pressure on the mans brain, a few minutes before finishing the surgery, doctors bell and Nolan walk in hoping to see what was wrong with the patient, they walk to the x-ray board and they find the patients current x-rays and scans on the board they study them so that they know what is wrong with the patient, and to there diagnosis from looking at all the scan images Gerry has a ruptured spleen, fractured pelvis and lacerated liver.

Nolan: oh my god this guy is in bad shape.

Bell: yep we may need another set of skilled hands to help us.

Nolan: okay nurse Jessica page doctor Austin please.

Jessica does as she is told she pages Austin, five minutes later Aj walks into the scrub room to scrub up.

Cain: great done my end know its over to you gentlemen, I have written up his post op notes make sure they are followed.

Cain walks out the theatre and Aj walks in along with doctor Voss who is there to stabilise the pelvis.

all four doctors get to work on the man on the table.

bell makes the first incision, then he hands over to doctor Voss to start on the pelvis.

doctor Voss goes first, she manages to stabilise the pelvis and fix the break, once she is finished she takes a step back and watches the three top doctors stop the bleeding in Gerry's abdomen.

Bell: great liver is repaired, but the left kidney is severely damaged and it cant be repaired, we need to take it out know.

AJ: agreed, what about the spleen.

Nolan: that to but my main concern is his liver even though we repaired it and stopped all the bleeding I don't like the look of it.

AJ: what do you mean?

Nolan: his liver is damage but not from the accident, it was already damaged possibly from years of alcohol abuse and drug abuse.

Bell: he may need a liver transplant.

AJ: what know?

Bell: close up and monitor him in icu and keep an eye on his liver function it may mean he may need a live transplant from someone.

AJ: okay my work here is done.

Voss: well done fellas great job if he makes it through the night.

Bell: he should but his liver may be the death of this man.

Voss: hey Aj how did nic's surgery go?

Aj: fine she is in recovery and she should be being moved to icu in about ten to fifteen minutes.

Voss: good I might go and check on her and did you guys put her in a sling once surgery was finished?

AJ: no she needs a sling fitted then.

Voss: right I will go and do that know.

doctor Voss scrubs out and so does all the other doctors, Aj and Voss walk to the icu where the other patient is recovering.

doctor's bell and Nolan walk with the current patient to the recovery room and they watch over him until one gets paged to another surgery.