War

When Jorg arrived home, his supervisor was standing at the window. 

'Good evening, Jorg,' he said. 

Jorg looked around dizzily. First the interrogation, then the bus explosion, and now his supervisor was standing with his back to him in his apartment. 

'How did you get in?'

'We have a key, of course. That doesn't matter. What part of loyalty do you not understand, Jorg?'

Jorg stepped closer. His legs throbbed and body ached from the morning. 

'Whatever it is you think I've done..' Said Jorg. 

The supervisor turned around. His black sunglasses gleamed in the sunlight. 

'What did Maverson mean when he spoke to you earlier? Before he died? He snarled.'

Jorg staggered back, sat down on his bed and dipped his head into his hands. 

'I don't know. He told me they're coming for me.'

'Who are they?'

'Look, I don't know,' said Jorg. 'I didn't know he was alive. The ministry told me he had been destroyed.'

The supervisor frowned and turned back at the window. 

'We're not the ones on trial, Jorg.'

'Oh, so I am? Because a bus hijacker told me he was going to set me free.' 

The floorboards creaked underneath the pair. 

'You sent me to him!' Snapped Jorg. He stood up shaking. 'If I'm on trial maybe you should be too.' 

The flickering neon signs clipped and the room plunged into darkness. The supervisor sighed.

'You know what that is, Jorg?' 

'A power cut.'

The supervisor edged closer until he could feel his breath on his face. 

'Wrong Jorg, it's war.' 

Jorg staggered back. The inky night sky cast a menacing shadow over the figure in front of him. The lights hollowed out his cheeks and made the face look like a skull. 

'I don't understand.' 

'Someone is attacking our servers.' Said the supervisor plainly. 'They are planning to attack in darkness.' 

Jorg looked around the dark room. He tried to avoid his supervisor's menacing gaze.

'We'll catch the traitors eventually.' Smiled the supervisor. 'Just make sure of one thing, Jorg.'

'What?' 

His supervisor walked past him and headed for the door. He pulled the handle and then turned to look at Jorg. 

'Make sure you're on the right side.'