Flashback

Maverson brushed back his dark, matte hair and put his helmet on. A dead body was rumpled up his feet. Jorg was panting.

'He deserved to die, kid.' Said Maverson blankly. A dark pool of blood was swelling around the corpse. 'And I had to kill him, you understand? Gluttony is forbidden by the state.' 

Maverson pressed a small button on his arm and spoke into it. 

'Target eliminated. Trainee is still with me, alive. Jorg is learning.'

Maverson turned away and looked at the scrawny, trembling teenager in front of him. 

'Jorg,' said Maverson slowly. 'It's important that you understand. You don't fight the state. If they give you a target. You kill it.' 

There was something about Maverson's language that tore into Jorg. 

'It'. 

The target was nothing more than a statistical, blinking light on the ministry's computer screen. 

'I understand,' he trembled. 

Maverson stepped over the body and put his arm around Jorg. The boy was shaking as if electric was running through his chest. 

'We have one more target for tonight,' said Maverson. 'And then you can rest'.

Maverson looked at the safe in the corner of the basement. He'd already ripped the metal open with a molten hot blast from his mecha suit. All that was inside the box was some extra money to feed a person for a week after rationing. 

'Somebody will be here to collect that,' said Maverson. 'Now. One more gluttony suspect.' 

-

Maverson and Jorg tore through the sky. Maverson's black, spiked vehicle ripped through the clouds and dwarfed the city underneath them. They rushed through dark, polluted shapes drifting in the air. The neon lights from sky scrapers were teetering below. 

'So,' said Maverson. He kept his eyes on the sky in front of him and he held the wheel with both hands. 'What was your crime, kid?' 

Jorg was looking at the side window moodily. He had a morose look washed over his face. 

'Jorg.' 

He snapped out of his thoughts and turned to Maverson. 

'My father. He got into debt and he owed the state. Rather than kill him, the state made him a deal.'

'And now you're here, smirked Maverson. Working for the state. Bringing law and order to a city you can't save.'