Chapter 2 - The First Stage Of The Selection

Everybody enrolled their daughters in and Irene obviously was participating. She got into her cart and read a book until she got there. Irene thought it was the only thing that could take her mind off things.

"My lady, we have reached Noksedang. You may get out of the cart now, "one of Irene's servants told Irene. Irene nodded and slowly got out of the cart. Irene got out and looked at all the other candidates. Some she expected, some she didn't. For example, she expected Kang Seulgi, daughter of Kang Byung Joon who was the Minister Of Punishments to be there. Just as she was thinking, somebody rushed behind and hugged her. Irene laughed already knowing who it was. It was Jennie.

Irene whispered playfully, "Yah, if you do this, you have to do this to every candidate, my princess." Jennie ignored Irene and hugged her even tighter. Irene and Jennie laughed, not knowing everybody was watching them.

"My princess, it is so good to see you again! Remember, that fishing trip we went on with our families, "Kang Seulgi said causing Jennie and Irene to jump apart.

Jennie said with a blank expression, "I don't remember you, though."Seulgi's cheeks bloomed with embarrassment. Seulgi gave a cold glare to Irene and bowed to the princess before she went inside Noksedang. Suddenly, the king showed up before her and she bowed along with Jennie.

Jennie said while bowing, "Good morning, your majesty." Jennie pushed Irene, signaling for her to say something but she ignored it.

Jimin said, "Princess, you are not supposed to interact with candidates for the selection. Please go back to your chambers." Jennie bowed and left to her chambers with a frown, sad that her brother had told her off. Jimin left without saying anything to Irene except for giving a cold glare. But this didn't faze Irene because she already knew the king hated her and her family. She walked into Noksedang with a fake smile on her face and sat down, just in time for the announcement.

One of the court ladies announced, "Today we will be starting the first stage of the selection. There will be three stages before, the final selection where only three candidates will remain. The first stage is beauty. The second stage is the people's opinions. The third stage will remain a mystery. For this stage, you will group into partners and put makeup on each other's faces. The last five teams will be eliminated. The teams that put on makeup the best will be rewarded. You can start now." Everybody rushed to Irene and Irene didn't know who to choose. Irene spotted a shy girl who was sitting at the very corner of the room looking nervous.

Irene walked over to the girl and said softly, "I'm Bae Irene. Would you like to work with me for this stage?"

"Lady Irene, I wouldn't dare to put my filthy hands on you. You deserve to be partners with someone better, "the shy girl gasped. Irene took the girls' hands into hers.

"That's too bad, because we're working together anyway. And your hands are beautiful, not filthy. Who told you that?, "Irene smiled. Irene walked over with the girl's hands in hers and told the court ladies she was working with her.

Once they sat down at a makeup station, Irene asked, "What's your name?"

"My name is Joey Chua. I'm from Hanyang, "Joey said with a sweet smile.

"That's nice, Lady Joey. I'll put makeup on you first and then you can. While I'm putting it on, feel free to ask any questions, "Irene said with a genuine smile. Joey nodded. Irene started by trimming Joey's eyebrows. For noble ladies, a look of innocence was the best. This style was popular, especially in Goguryeo. Then, Irene started to apply rouge on the cheeks and lips. 

"Lady Irene, how much rouge do you put on the lips,?" Joey asked with a confused expression on her face.

Irene smiled while answering, "Only a little bit but after putting on the rouge you place your lips on a handkerchief to get rid of excess rouge. Here I'll show you." Irene placed a handkerchief towards Joey's mouth and told her to place her lips and then take them off. Lady Joey did as she was told.

"See it's perfect! Now you try on me, "Irene exclaimed. Joey shyly nodded with an interested look at the makeup. She perfectly copied what Irene did and Irene was very pleased. Five minutes later, the court ladies came around, checking the makeup.

Irene spotted a court lady coming towards her who she knows as the court lady who carries out deeds for her family, good and bad. The court lady came to Irene and Joey and gasped, "My my, I didn't expect Lady Irene to pair with Lady Joey but you two make quite the team! It is marvelous!" Joey shyly smiled while Irene bowed, already knowing this court lady was biased towards her family. 

A court lady announced, "I will now call out the top three teams. Coming in third place is Lady Seulgi and Lady Wendy. In second place is Lady Tzuyu and Lady Vira. In first place, is Lady Irene and Lady Joey." Irene and Joey got up and bowed to everybody while Seulgi grumbled.

"Now the people who are leaving the selection are, Lady Jeongyeon, Lady Soo-young, Lady Nayeon, Lady Ye-ri, Lady Dahyun, Lady Sana, Lady Yeon Woo, Lady Jihyo, and Lady Jane. Please leave immediately, "the court lady continued. Some of them refused to leave while some of them slipped away embarrassed. 

"Now ten people have left, there is twenty candidates left. Ten more will be eliminated next round and the third stage will be split up into two sections. The first section of the third stage, three candidates will be eliminated. Then, another four candidates will be eliminated in the second section of the third stage. Then, three of you will participate in the final selection where the leaders of the inner court, Queen Mother and Queen Dowager will decide. Now, the rest of you may go to the rooms where you will be staying for the rest of the selection, "another court lady announced.