Chapter 8

I returned from the store with the ingredients I needed in order to make spaghetti. I set everything down onto the table and walked over to the kitchen sink, filling a pot with water. I let the noodles cook while I cleaned around the small space that was my living room. I gathered random clothes of mine that were piled onto the couch and threw them into a corner of my room. Pleased with my efforts to clean, I made my way back to the kitchen when my phone began to ring. I quickly took it out of my back pocket and furrowed my eyebrows at the contact name that was displayed.

"Liam?"

"Hey Niall, I just wanted to apologize for the other day, you know, about Zayn. I guess you were right about you two, since he hasn't stopped saying a word about you at all" he huffed, on the verge of annoyance.

I laughed at his remark.

"It's alright, don't worry about it" I said while taking the pot of pasta off from the stove.

"I also wanted to let you know that Zayn got into a small accident here on the job. Nothing too serious, just a nasty burn on his hand and I took him to the same hospital you were at not too long ago, just thought you should know"

"Oh no, is he alright? I'll go see him as soon as possible"

"He's fine, don't worry mate. I'll have him call you, but I'm sure he was going to do that anyway"

We quickly said our goodbyes and I hastily put all the ingredients away and covered the fresh pasta with cling wrap. I would have to finish it completely when I get back home but I didn't mind.

I got in my car and started to head towards Zayn. I made a brief stop at a small bakery to pick up some pastries I thought he would like. I couldn't help but worry about him and his injury but a smile crept onto my face at the thought of me babying him and also us spending time together since he would need to take a day or two off work.

I thought it was sort of strange that he hadn't called me yet, but I brushed it off. He was probably busy or didn't want me to worry.

I pulled into the hospital's parking lot and stationed my car. I placed the pastries in the back seat hoping to whip them out and surprise Zayn once he got into the car. I wasted no time in hurrying out of the parking lot and rushing my way over to the entrance. I pocketed my keys and took out my phone ready to ring up Zayn, my smile faltering when I saw a familiar face walk out of the hospital.

He kept his gaze down, his usual limp was much more noticeable and the cane he held himself up with didn't seem to be of aid anymore.

"Will?" I said, completely bewildered.

He looked up at his name being called and widened his eyes, surprised to see me. He carefully made his way over to me and I could already tell he was out of breath from the small walk. I got a better look at him and could now see that he was in bad shape, his dark circles were more prominent from lack of sleep, followed by stubble that had gone unshaven.

"Niall... I-" he began, avoiding eye contact with me.

He sighed and mustered the courage to look at me, the wrinkles around his green eyes holding back years of wisdom and time.

"I'm sorry" he breathed out.

"W-what?" I stammered, until it finally dawned on me what he had meant.

I rushed past him and into the hospital through the double doors, nearly colliding into a hand full of people.

I made it to the front desk, my heart hammering in my chest as a million thoughts ran through my mind.