Chapter 25

The next morning Lizzie woke up to hear Frank speaking on the phone that sat on his nightstand, "Yeah..." he rubbed his forehead, "Ah, Christ... okay," Frank turned to look at Lizzie and noticed she was awake, "Hold on. Let me ask her," he covered the phone and closed his eyes as he spoke, "Liz, Dino needs you to lead his band and play piano if you're willing."

"Sure, you know I'll want at least one rehearsal with him and the band. What happened to Ken?"

"Ken was rushed to the emergency room last night with an appendicitis... He's out for the rest of the tour."

"Damn it," Lizzie muttered and reached for the phone, "Is that Dino?"

"Yeah, here," he passed her the phone stretching the cord across the bed.

"Hey, Dino. It's Liz," she said groggily.

Dino sighed loudly into the phone, "Helluva mess we got going with this damn tour. You wanna meet down at the studio and give it a run today before we leave tomorrow evening?"

"Yep, that works for me. Meet you there around eleven this morning so I can look at the piano parts and get the band there at noon."

"Sure. Liz, I can't tell you how much I appreciate this."

"Of course. Send Ken our well wishes."

Dino and Lizzie hung up their phones and Lizzie rolled off the bed as Frank grabbed her and pulled her back next to him, "Dino's stealing you away from me, eh?"

"It seems that way. I have to go get ready, Honey."

Frank kissed her neck and let go of her, "Hurry up and get your shower. I'll drive you and get you coffee on the way."

She turned and kissed him on the lips, "You're the best."

Lizzie quickly got ready in a pair of cropped yellow pants and a striped white and yellow shirt with white shoes. Frank was dressed casually in khakis with a white button up and a tan hat. They got into the car and Frank stopped at a donut shop to pick Lizzie up a Boston creme donut and coffee. "Alright, Baby, here you are." He drove them to the studio and they got out of the car. Dino met them inside.

Dino handed Lizzie the scores and set list. Lizzie flipped through the scores and got them in order and then glanced at the piano parts. Ken was a very relaxed conductor. He played piano mostly and did minimalist conducting.

Liz sat working on the piano music for the hour she had to herself while Dino and Frank sat chatting quietly and watching her.

"She's damn good," Dino said quietly.

"I know. I oughta send Rosemary flowers and thank her. She recommended her to me."

"Hell, I'd chip in," Dino said listening to her play "Everybody Loves Somebody".

She barely it a wrong note and shouted, "Damn it!"

"Lizzie, you sound great!" Dino called across the room and he took a drag on his cigarette.

"This song is pissing me off!" she called back as she continued playing.

"Hey, easy does it. That song made me a lot of money," Dino laughed.

"I recorded it first, jackass," Frank replied laughing as he lit a cigarette.

"And I made it famous," Dino smacked him.

"Ahhhhh!" Lizzie growled, "Son of a bitch!"

Frank and Dino both chuckled. A little while later the band arrived and they began rehearsal. It only took three hours for Lizzie to become comfortable with the songs and playing them herself. She thanked the band multiple times for their patience and then she sent them home. Frank and Dino wanted her to take a break, but she insisted on staying and familiarizing herself with the piano parts.