Chapter 24

As she showered, Lizzie thought about how this could be the night. Frank had booked a hotel room for them to share with no children or Dino or Ken to interrupt them. There were two beds because Frank never wanted to pressure Lizzie after hearing what happened between her and Paul, but secretly hoped this was the romantic weekend he had been wishing for. When she reentered the room, she was wearing a baby pink nightgown that came barely to the middle of her thighs. It was frilly and partially see through. Frank's eyes widened as she approached him. She laid down next to him and began kissing his neck, "Frank, I love you."

"Oh Lizzie... I love you too," he kissed her tenderly, "Are you sure you want to do this?"

"Yes," she whispered.

Frank gently showed her how much he loved her erasing all of the horrible memories of Paul with his tenderness. When they were through, Frank held her in his arms tightly. He ran his fingers through your hair.

"Thank you, Frank."

"For what?" he asked quietly.

"For being such a gentlemen. You were so gentle and made sure I was okay the entire time. It was wonderful."

He kissed her, "I just wanted you to know that you were safe."

"And I appreciate it more than you'll ever know."

They fell asleep happily and woke the next morning in one another's arms. Frank felt Lizzie sigh and he kissed her cheek, "Morning, Beautiful."

She yawned, "Good morning, Honey."

They spent the next few days with Lizzie's sister and then they returned home promising to visit after their show in Palm Springs. When they returned home, Nancy, Frank's ex wife called, "Frank, your children are absolutely distraught. They miss you so much and would like if you would come over for dinner before you head on tour again."

"I would love to."

"They have also requested that Lizzie join you and I also request it. I'd like to meet her... it sounds like you two are pretty serious and I'd like to know the woman my children are spending time with."

"I'd like if you met her. She's lovely."

"That's what the kids say. How about you two drop in around six tonight?"

"Sure. Should we bring anything?"

"No. I'll see you soon."

He hung up the phone and turned to Lizzie, "The kids have requested our presence at dinner."

"Oh, me? With your ex wife?"

"Nancy's nice. You two will be fine."

"Any tips?"

"Talk about the kids and how wonderful they are. That'll tickle her."

Lizzie hurriedly changed from her shorts and sleeveless shirt to the most conservative dress she had for the summer. It was sleeveless, but it had a high collar and went past her knees. Frank smiled at her as they got into the car. She was shaking with nervousness again.

When they arrived, all three children ran to greet them. Tina hugged Lizzie first and Nancy and Frank Jr. soon followed.

"How are you?" Lizzie asked.

"Wonderful! Mama made ravioli for dinner! She said Daddy has big news for us too!" Tina rambled.

Lizzie smiled. Frank was going to inform the kids that they were taking them with them to the Vegas and Palm Springs shows. Lizzie nervously entered the house following Frank. Nancy spotted her and approached her, "You must be Lizzie," Nancy said shaking her hand.

"It's lovely to meet you. Thank you for having me into your home."

"Thank you for coming and thank you for helping Frank with the kids while I was dealing with my Mom."

"Of course. I am terribly sorry for you loss."

"Thank you. Well, shall we?" Nancy asked leading the way into the dining room.

They all enjoyed Nancy's home cooked meal and then the children cleared the table. When they were finished, Frank cleared his throat, "Well, it's time for the surprise. Kids, your mother and I have discussed it and I would be thrilled if you would join me for our shows in Vegas and Palm Springs!"

They all cheered and Nancy smiled at how happy her children were.

"Will Lizzie be there?" Tina asked.

"Yes, I will," Lizzie grinned.

Tina smiled happily. Frank and the kids exited the table a few minutes later so he could show them brochures of Vegas and Palm Springs so they could decide what to do while they were there. Nancy and Lizzie were left alone at the table to talk, "So Liz, tell me about yourself," Nancy said as she poured them both a glass of wine.

"Well, Im originally from the Palm Springs area. I have a sister up there that has two children. I grew up playing lots of instruments and decided to work on conducting later on and that's how I met Frank."

"You do understand how much he means to my children, right?"

"I absolutely do."

"God, when he was with her, he wasn't around very much and it killed them all... especially Nancy. She remembers everything... Tina and Frankie not so much... I can't let that happen to them again."

"Nancy, I love your kiddos. They're wonderful children and I would never do anything to hurt them that includes taking their father away. I wouldn't do it to them."

Nancy had tears welling in her eyes, but refused to let them fall, "They're my everything. I'll do anything to protect them. And Frank, he's fragile too. I care about him still. He's the father of my children..."

"I understand that completely. I hope we can be friendly."

"Oh Liz, I would love nothing more. That makes this whole process so much easier if we get along. Easier on the kids too."

"I'm glad we got to talk," Lizzie said smiling.

"Me too," Nancy replied, "Please take care of my kids on this trip."

"Of course."

Lizzie and Frank drove back to his place that night and Lizzie explained how well everything had gone. He smiled as she told what she and Nancy talked about. That night when they went to bed, she held on tightly to Frank drawing shapes on his chest that was clothed in a plain white T-shirt.

He sighed with exhaustion in his voice and whispered, "I love you."

"I love you too."